CHAPTER 8 HOW DANGEROUS CAN THE PAST BE?

Cold liquid dripping down her face made Monica open her tired eyes. She looked around, unfocused to find her dearest sister holding a flower vase halfway filled with water on top of her face.
Monica sat up angrily.
"What the heck?"
"That's my line, what the heck?" Ivy shot back and sat on the sofa slamming the vase on the table.
She crossed her legs and pulled the leather  jacket around her.
Monica looked at the girl up and down. She had blue plaited braids on her head , a tattoo on her neck, another one on her exposed stomach. She was dressed fully in leather, the heal of her boots were extremely wide and high.

"What's going on with you?"
"That's my line 'what's going on with you '"
Monica shook her head as if to clear out the fog in her mind.
"Are you serious right now? Are we going to do this all day? Is that what you want Ivy? What brings you here?"
The girl ignored her questions and plucked a flower from the bouquet on the table.
"I should have brought you one too, but this is big enough for several patients"
"I didn't ask for it" Monica defended herself.
"But you like it, you are enjoying it!" Ivy plucked the petals of the roses and threw them all over the floor and remained with the stalk in her hands.
"How does it feel? To be the favourite of a millionaire mommy? Living posh as if you were never an orphan?"
"Ivy...
"I know she does not like me, neither does Lewis, or the three girls or whatever sisters or Bernard or anyone else related to the King's family. Including you " she laughed creepily pointing the stalk on Monica's face "it's written all over your faces and y'all trying to act as if you like me!"
She laughed once again.
"What is this about?"
"They are keeping me because I happen to be the sister of the ideal woman aka M-o-n-i-c-a" she almost spelt the words. "But it's pretty to have a different surname right? Instead of Dickson it's Kings hash tag Kingori. Lovely right?"
"Ivy, I don't want to fight with you!" Monica felt frustrated by the aimless and infuriating talking.
"I wish I were you, imagine getting a step mom as soon as you become an orphan, then becoming her favorite, she takes you to school and you end up getting a first class degree from the University of Nairobi. Eventually you get hired in her company that deals in dollars instead of shillings. Is that not a pretty life?"
"Did you come to pick a fight?"
Ivy laughed out loud in the most irritating and sarcastic manner possible.
"Yes! You caught me" she stood up "of course I came to pick a fight!"
"Triggered by?"
"The comfort zone you are in" she wagged the stalk at him "Revenge… I will and must revenge the death of my parents. I will find that beast and kill him myself!" Ivy giggled "those are not my words!"
"You were there?"
"Of course! You think I will let you off the hook?" Ivy wagged the stalk in front of her again "no way. It has been a whole six years baby girl. You got a name and the abilities... Where is that fury?"
"Ivy?"
"Are you going to forget that we're orphan's? You got too much warmth from the madam, and you forgot we're alone. When are you going to revenge papa?" Ivy asked fiercely.
"I won't let you get under my skin,Ivy!"
"But that's what I am doing right now, I don't need your permission to do that princess" Ivy hissed "do it, or I will make you as useless as this stalk " she threw the stalk on her laps " and you know I can do that, right baby girl?"
Ivy smirked and walked out of the room her head high. Monica was infuriated, how dare she? She was her sister was she not? But why was she making life this hard for her! What does she want her to do? Go to cops and demand the case to be reinvestigated? It was closed five years ago due to lack of evidence.
But she had sworn to get justice for her parents, she had that urge for ages. She was warned by many not to get involved.
There were a lot of secrets involved in the case that she did not know about. She could risk for her parents? Or pretend like she knew nothing!?

She wouldn't do that, would she? Forget her father and mother who died cold blood ... No way she wouldn't! Neither was she going to let that kid think of her as a weakling. Sister, yes she was, but there were boundaries also.

Monica jumped out of the bed pulling out the drip roughly. She tore a piece of the bedsheets and wrapped it around the pierced area to stop the bleeding. She changed into her clothes that were neatly folded in the sofa. Grabbing her phone she rushed out of the hospital.