special chapter seven.

Harper

"...And then we have the benefit gala that night, so you'll need to arrive in DC on Saturday morning. That shouldn't interfere with your classes."

"No," I say, my voice small. "It won't."

"Great, I'll pick you up from the airport." My dad sounds busy—as he always is—rushing around and probably signing a million documents whilst he's on the phone to me.

"I'll see you then," I tell him, trying to muster as much enthusiasm as possible.

"Alright, love you, Harp. Bye."

"Bye–" The line disconnects. He hung up.

I drop my phone onto my bed and launch myself back onto the mattress, staring up at the white ceiling of my dorm room.

Not so long ago, I found out that werewolves were real and my entire life changed. So why do I feel like everything has actually stayed exactly the same?

I have class at eight AM tomorrow. On the weekend, I have to fly down to Washington DC, put on a smiling face and pose with my father at a gala event whilst hearing about how amazing my brother is. All the things I hate the most, the dreaded parts of my life, haven't changed a single bit.

Groaning, I reach over and grab a pillow, shove it over my face and scream.

There's a bang from the other side of the wall. It's the girl who lives in the dorm next to mine telling me to shut the hell up.

Heaving a sigh, I throw the pillow aside and try to force myself to do some class work. It's unsuccessful—I am distracted by everything. My phone, a book I don't even like, the TV. I do almost anything to avoid working on my assignments and readings, until finally the nervous energy bouncing around my body can't be contained a moment longer. I get changed into running clothes, push in some earphones and then head out into the cool night air.

Campus is quiet, lit dimly by a few post lights. Jogging across the grass, I head out toward the street, where trees line the footpath. Running clears my head, quiets my otherwise raging thoughts.

Everything else fades away and all I have to focus on is my breathing and the way my feet hit the cement.

But then the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and a shiver passes down my spine. I stop and pull an earphone out, turning to look behind me.

Nothing. The street is completely empty.

Shaking my head, I put my earphone back in and keep running. But after a few minutes, the same strange feeling returns.

Someone is following me, I'm sure of it.

I spin around, hoping to catch them out, but my foot catches on a cracked part of the footpath and I land on my bum with a thud.

In the blink of an eye, North suddenly appears in front of me. "Harper?" His eyes are wide.

I rip out my earphones, glaring at him as he crouches down.

"Are you following me?!"

He hesitates, saying nothing, his hands hovering above my arms like he wants to touch me but doesn't dare. "Are you hurt?"

I shove him away and stand up, dusting off my leggings. "What the hell are you doing here?"

As he rises slowly, his blue-green eyes sweep me up and down in a repetitive cycle.

"I'm fine," I tell him, crossing my arms over my chest. "Now tell me how you suddenly just appeared in front of me."

"I'm trying to give you space," he replies.