Chapter 2: Partners

First period I had health with Ms. Jackson.

"Alright, today I am giving out a project that you will start Monday. You will be paired with a partner and you will become a married couple. You will build a life with your partner within the next couple weeks." She started passing out rubrics. "At the end of your project, you will have to write a 3 page essay on what you've learned from your experience. This should help you after you graduated high school and college."

I scanned through the rubric, disappointed. I didn't think we would have to do projects in health. I just thought you watched videos on teenage issues and the teacher would pass out condoms telling you to 'practice safe sex'.

"Now you will get you're partners today so you can mentally prepare yourselves for next week." Ms. Jackson pulled out a bowl. "In this bowl, is all of the girls' names. Boys you will draw a name and that will become you're wife."

Somebody raised there hand.

"Yes Tim?"

"What if you're gay and won't be having a wife?" Tim asked, referring to himself.

"If you can find another partner in this class, you can switch. But if not, you'll just have to deal with it."

Tim smacked his lips, knowing that no one else in this period was gay. "Never mind then."

"Okay boys after you draw your name, go sit with your partner."

Ms. Jackson went around with the bowl . When she approached me, I dug inside the bowl and opened my little piece of paper.

Candace Baker

Who the fuck is Candace?

"Aye, you know who Candace is?" I asked Tim since he was behind me.

"I'm Candace." A brown skin girl with glasses and braces spoke. I moved next to her. "Sorry, I'm Ronny."

"I know who you are." She said bluntly.

"Oh.." I didn't know what else to say. I scanned Candace. She wasn't ugly at all. She looked unhealthily skinny though. She had on a oversized white sweatshirt and jeans with braids up in a bun.

"Ronald." Candace snapped in my face, waking me out of my thoughts.

"It's Ronny." I replied.

"I always knew you as Ronald." She stated.

"And I know you from..?" I asked, lost.

"We used to be best friends all through middle school. Then I moved." She shrugged.

Lightbulb. "Oh yeah, Candy! What happened to you? You used to be fat- I mean chubby."

She rolled her eyes and avoided looking at me. "Thanks for reminding me."

I smiled. "You look good."

"Thanks." She stated bluntly, once again before starting to read the rubric.

I pretended to read mine too. And we did that for the rest of the period.

A few minutes before the bell, Ms. Jackson stood at the front to get everyone's attention. "Okay class, I hope everyone has read their rubric. If you have any questions, now would be the time to ask."

A girl named Kati spoke. "When will we be getting the baby, and our careers?"

"Monday, but everyone will not be getting a baby. I'll already have you're careers ready and posted when you come in Monday."

Another girl Tiana started talking. "I have a boyfriend. What will he think of me being with some other dude?" She was popping gum obnoxiously.

"You act like you ain't already been with other dudes." Her partner, Jake, blurted out and everyone laughed.
It was true, cause I just got with her two weeks ago. I shook my head.