Chapter 21: The Conversation

I woke up this morning, did my daily routine and headed out.

I knocked on the door and my mama answered. I sighed. God's really testing me already. "Hey ma."

"Hi Ronny, come on in."

I came in and sat in the recliner.

"That girl you brought over yesterday..." My mama started, "she's pretty."

"We just friends."

She laughed a little. "Me and your- never mind."

"Hey Ronald." My grandmother said, walking downstairs. Life saver.

"Hey Granny."

"I enjoyed yesterday. You make sure you bring Candy back to see me, you hear?"

"Yes ma'am."

She sat on the couch and turned on the news.

"Breaking News: The miracle known as Callie Grey has turned into a tragedy. She died last night in the hospital from a brain aneurism. Doctors said they did what they could, but couldn't stop the bleeding. Because of her sudden death, the investigation in the case of Thomas and Callie Grey is closed since there eyewitness is no longer alive. There will be a candle light vigil for Callie tonight at 7 at Hermann Park. Visit our website for more information. Back to you Tom."

"Good Grief." My mama sighed.

"She didn't even get to live." Granny mumbled.

I shook my head. I gotta admit I felt a little guilty, but now me and Quan are home free.

I glanced at my watch. "Come on Ryan!" I yelled up the steps.

"I'm coming, dang." She yelled back. She finally came downstairs and I rushed her out the door.

"Why you always rushing me?" Ryan asked when we got in the car.

"Why you always so slow?" I shot back.

She rolled her eyes. "You act just like Candace, I swear." I said, shaking my head.

She smiled when she heard that name. "I like her."

"Why?" This is the first girl that I've talked to that Ryan liked.

"Cause we're alike. You put her through it like Kourtney did me. And the best part is she doesn't really like you!"

"Whatever." I pulled up to her school. "You and mama can have that conversation today. I'll be there."

Ryan looked down. "I'm not really looking forward to that conversation."

"Neither am I Ry..." I picked her chin up. "But it's a conversation that needs to happen. For all of us."

She nodded. "Bye Ronny. Love you."

"Love you too sis."

Then she jumped out and into the school.

I made my way to school myself. You already know where the niggas were. I dapped everybody up.

"Aye nigga, where was you yesterday? I called and you never answered. I even came through, but you never answered the door. You might as well gon and give me a key." Quan said, holding out his hand.