The Abyss Stares Back

The sun dipped below the horizon, painting the sky in hues of orange and violet—a fleeting masterpiece the White Room never allowed.

There, the only illumination came from the harsh, unchanging glare of fluorescent lights, a constant reminder of the sterile world that had stripped me of everything human.

But here, on this island—amidst the warmth of setting suns and the scent of salty waters, I'd let myself slip.

I tumbled off the cliff of normalcy, falling back into the abyss of my past.

They say if you stare into the abyss long enough, the abyss stares back.

But now, fully emerged in the abyss, it manifested itself—not as a memory, but through the cold smile that Tsukishiro wore.

He stood before me, a figure cut from the same cloth as the White Room—an echo of the life I thought I'd left behind.

I followed him to a secluded area of the camp. The students of Class B stood quietly, as they watched us walk towards the corner of the camp.

He pulled a small, black device from his pocket, a red LED pulsing on its surface.

"Just a precaution," he said, placing it on a rock between us. A subtle hum filled the air, barely perceivable to my ears. "I wouldn't want my team to hear this."

He used a radio jammer to interfere with the microphone that was inside my smartwatch.

Tsukishiro wanted to discuss secrets—the white shadows that lurked away from society's eye.

"You understand, of course," Tsukishiro continued, his voice almost a whisper. "That I'm not here about... disciplinary action."

"Shibata's fall was an accident," I stated, my voice flat.

He chuckled dryly, "Indeed. An unfortunate one, certainly. But accidents... they offer opportunities."

He took a step closer. "Let's be frank, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-kun. You and I both know this charade you're playing is pointless. This normal life' you cling to — it's a delusion. A fragile construct built on borrowed time."

My gaze met his. "I'm merely fulfilling the role assigned to me."

"A role you chose," he countered, his voice hardening. "And one you can abandon at any moment. Return to where you belong. To the place where your potential can be fully realized. To that place."

Silence descended, heavy and suffocating. The only sounds were the rustle of the leaves and the distant cry of a bird.

"I understand." I finally said. I understood his intent. I understood the pull of that sterile world, the allure of its cold logic, and the seductive promise of a purpose beyond this messy, unpredictable dance of human interaction.

I understood... because a part of me yearned for it.

"But you see," Tsukishiro continued, "That act, that deliberate inaction... It wasn't the choice a 'normal' student would make, was it? You abandoned that role the moment you let Shibata fall."

He leaned in, his gaze attempting to peer directly into the abyss I'd tried to conceal. "Or perhaps," he whispered, a hint of triumph in his voice, "You already abandoned it long ago. Not on this island, Ayanokouji Kiyotaka-kun. But the moment you saw this school for what it truly is. The moment you realized that meritocracy was a lie, and that victory demanded more than just academic prowess."

His words struck a chord. The desire for a normal life, the fleeting hope of blending in — it had always been overshadowed by the instinct to manipulate, to control, to win.