Whiskey and Winnie

༻❖༺
3.1k words

Today was the day. Finally, your boyfriend and cohabitant, Hayden, is taking you dog shopping!

You couldn't keep in the excitement as the two of you walked down the street towards the closest pet shop. "Maybe we'll see a golden retriever, or maybe a dachshund!" You babbled on and on with a giddy smile on your face, your fingers interlocked with Hayden's.

Hayden chuckled at your excitement. "Or maybe there'll even be a chihuahua!" He replied, imagining the tiny ball of energy scampering around your apartment with a smile.

The pet store soon came into view and his heart swelled when you gave his arm a little shake in anticipation. "Not long now, darling."

The moment the two of you entered, you were hit with the strong smell of animal and pet food. You were immediately entranced, walking down the aisles and peering into the different cages. Hayden chuckled, watching you from a few feet back before walking up behind you and wrapping an arm firmly around your waist.

"I'm in heaven," you chuckled softly, watching all the dogs in awe as some of them were sleeping and others were playing.

His heart swelled as you smiled at each and every dog that you came across. Hayden gently squeezed your waist as he took in the joyful expression on your face.

"Find anyone that's caught your eye yet?" He whispered into your ear jokingly.

You couldn't pick a favorite if you tried, but a few in specific had your heart fluttering. A golden retriever puppy, a white and brown cocker spaniel, and a german shepherd were some of the cutest you'd spotted so far.

You chuckled at Hayden's question, turning your head back slightly to look up at him. "I love them all," you replied, putting your hand on top of his where it was resting on your waist.

He smiled, his gaze fixed on yours for a brief moment as his grip around your waist tightened. He knew your heart probably fluttered as hard for puppies like a little girl, and he loved each and every second of it.

He leaned a little closer, his lips nearly brushing against your ear as he spoke. "You know we can't just take them all, right?"

You pouted slightly as you turned your head back towards the different dogs, a bit sad that you couldn't bring them all back to your apartment. "I know..." you replied, pretending to be annoyed, before a smirk overtook your expression. "But we could get two, right?"

Hayden chuckled, leaning his chin down onto your shoulder as he watched you look at the different puppies. His free arm moved from your waist to around your shoulders, pulling you close to him.

"Two?" He asked, feigning annoyance, though his tone was playful. "Are you sure that's such a good idea...?"

"Oh come on," you teased, leaning back against his chest as he pulled you closer. You knew you were asking too much, but you couldn't help it. How could you possibly pick just one?

You put your hands on his arms as they still wrapped around you. "It'd be fun, think of all the chaos two energetic puppies could cause!"

He chuckled again, shaking his head slightly at your relentless enthusiasm. He knew you had him wrapped around your little finger when it came to these sorts of things. He sighed, pretending to be reluctant but secretly completely enthralled with the idea.

"Two puppies, huh..." he mused. "Just imagine all the barking, the running, the accidents... You think you can handle it?"

You smiled at his surrender, knowing you'd worn him down. "Of course I could," you said, giving his forearms a playful squeeze. "It'll be like having twice the fun... And twice the cuddles, too."