Chapter 27

A/N: This is a very "quiet" chapter, but I hope it makes sense.

I slow down my rental car, double checking the address on the mailbox with the one I have inputted into my phone's GPS. I can't see the house from the road, just a long drive that winds into the woods. I have to take a few calming breaths to ease my nerves before I can make myself take the turn. My stomach is in knots as I make my way down the driveway, finally pulling into a clearing and bringing the house into view. It really is a stunning piece of property, rolling hills surrounded by trees with views of the mountains peeking over the treetops. The two story house is equally beautiful, with its large front porch and what looks like a sunroom off to the side with a large tree providing shade. There's a dark gray sedan parked near the house and I pull up behind it.

As I get out of my car, the front door opens and Mr. Blackbourne steps out onto the porch. I let out a relieved breath and then take a moment to drink him in. He's wearing a pair of jeans and a white undershirt, his hair wet like he just got out of the shower. His black rimmed glasses sit on his nose, the glare from the late afternoon sun hiding his steel eyes. He stands still, watching me.

It's now or never, and I decide to not give him the option on letting me stay. I grab my duffel bag from the backseat and make my way up the little path, stepping up onto the front porch. "Nice house," I say, standing before him. Maybe Corey was right and I needed to work on my greetings. His face and eyes are expressionless, much to my dismay, and he doesn't respond. He just stands there, staring at me. "Thanks for the invite by the way. I need to lay low for a while and this is perfect." Still nothing. This is going well. I hitch my bag up onto my shoulder and brush past him, opening the screen door. "I'll just show myself inside, shall I?"

I walk into a foyer, pausing to look around. A pretty light fixture hanging above lights the room making the wooden floor shine. There's an office space off to the left and a living room to the right. I peek into both, spotting a kitchen on the other side of the living room towards the back of the house. The sunroom I noticed from outside leads off the living room as well and takes up the whole right side of the house. There is a set of stairs in front of me and I peek over my shoulder to where he stands, having followed me inside. "Bedrooms upstairs?" I ask, then let out a soft sigh. Deciding to pretend he had answered, I respond accordingly. "Great, let's go take a look."

I begin climbing the stairs and I hear him padding his way up behind me. It's like he's on autopilot but I find some comfort in the fact that he seems to want to stay with me. I open a couple doors at the top of the stairs, finding bedrooms with bunk beds inside. There are four of these that are nearly identical, two on each side of the hallway and what looks to be a jack and jill bathroom between each. There are two final doors at the end of the hall and I make my way over to them, opening the door to the left. I see a large bed with a dark gray bedspread over it, mussed from the night before. It quirks my eyebrow, thinking of Mr. Blackbourne not making his bed. "Oops, your room. Sorry about that," I say, moving back and pulling the door closed again before turning to the door across the hall from the master.

I come to a halt after opening the door, staring around the room. The walls are a pale pink and there's a matching quilt on the white four poster bed. Sheer white curtains hang from the bed and the windows, letting in views of the backyard and tree line. There is a white nightstand and dresser, each holding an old fashioned hurricane lamp with delicate roses painted on the glass. I shuffle inside, glancing into an attached bathroom that has a large soaker tub and separate glass enclosed shower. After taking it all in, I turn to where he stands at the door. "Is this...is it for me?" I ask shakily. He bought this house years ago. Had he thought of me when he decided how this was decorated? Instead of answering, he turns away and I hear the door to his bedroom open and then close behind him.