Meeting Frisk

Avery was working when Frisk came in town. Gaster decidedly stayed home to meet the human. He was skeptical, and you couldn't blame him. It was like father like son, after all. Gaster only trusted her because of her history with him. She also had his soul in hers. There was no *not* knowing her intentions with other monsters. Avery was half expecting for Frisk to track down her boat to use, no matter what route they were playing this time. The human liked fast and reliable travel, so it wasn't a long shot to assume they were coming eventually. Whether it was before or after Avery went home, though, she couldn't say. Perhaps Frisk would see her outside her boat and get curious. Avery had lots of thoughts and scenarios running through her head. She practically had to, considering how much more different this timeline was. Sans wasn't the only one worried about it. She couldn't let it consume her, though, not while she was at work. She would have to wait for now and hope that it was a better timeline because if Gaster died, so did she, and for once, she could actually protect her little brothers.

🛶🛶🛶

Avery moved like a ghost through the snow, heading home after a long and trying day at work. When she came in, Sans was outside the Papyrus' door, and Gaster was at the bottom of the stairs. She gave them a confused look as she went to hang up her cloak. "What is going on?" Avery asked. Gaster put a finger to his teeth as he seemed to be listening in. Sans seemed tense but also gestured for silence. Avery decided to comply and sat down on the couch to wait for... whatever was going on. Sans took a sudden shortcut as the door upstairs opened. Gaster's sockets were furrowed in confusion as Frisk and Papyrus both came out. "What were you doing in there?" He asked. "FRISK AND I DECIDED TO BE FRIENDS!" Papyrus replied. Gaster looked all the more confused but nodded. "I... see? Very well then. Good, I guess?" Gaster looked wearily at the child and understanding dawned on Avery. They were still here, befriending her brothers. It seemed that a new core event would be Frisk meeting the real Avery. The hybrid hummed softly and prepared to meet them.

🛶🛶🛶

For a moment, there was stunned silence as they noticed another human in the Underground. Avery smiled at the pacifist and decided to take the first word. "Tra la la, hello, I am the Riverman. Or am I the Riverwoman? It doesn't really matter." Frisk's eyes widened, and their mouth dropped. "You're a human?!" Avery chuckled. "Human? Monster? Both? What does it matter, what I am?" She replied. An amused smile appeared on Sans' face as he leaned back to watch. "But... you look human..." They looked puzzled. "Is that why you wear a cloak? So the monsters don't take your soul?" Avery chuckled. "Always so curious." She mused as she stood up and stretched. "Papyrus, want help with dinner?" The tall skeleton perked and eagerly nodded. "OH, YES PLEASE, SISTER!" She sucked in a breath and beamed. Papyrus called her sister! Sans didn't seem so happy, but for now, she didn't mind. She could focus on his trust issues after dinner. She followed Papyrus to the kitchen, and Frisk followed eagerly, needing to know more about what was going on after hearing Papyrus say that. They wanted to know what the Riverperson's relationship was to the skeletons and why they hadn't been here in any other timeline.