Chapter 2

And will you catch me when I fall?

Did you ever love me at all?

Now you’ll go your way

While I take the highway

And I’ll be better off without you

Yes I’ll be better off

Without you

I played the final chord and looked up worriedly to see what the boys thought.

“Shit,” James whispered.

I pursed my lips, “Is that a good thing or what?”

“That was-” Tris started to say. “I can’t put it into words, but, wow.”

I blushed and looked down. “Thanks,” I muttered.

I looked up and realized that Brad was staring at me with sad eyes.

“Don’t,” I shook my head at him. “Please, don’t.”

James looked between us, “What’s wrong?”

“Don’t look at me like that,” I pleaded.

“Like what?” Brad said softly.

“You feel badly for me,” I accused. “I can see it in your eyes. Ya, I’ve been through hell in my short life but I came out of it stronger. I’m happy now and I don’t want you to pity me.”

Brad swallowed, “Liv, uh, I’m sorry.”

I shrugged and then got up and put my guitar back in its case. I grabbed my song notebook and a pen and went back to sit on the couch with the boys.

“Hey Liv?” Brad said timidly. “Um, I know you don’t want to talk about it, but I need to know, what is that song called and what is it about.”

I glanced up at him and he whispered, “Please.”

I took a deep breath, “It’s untitled at the moment, but it’s about one of my ex-boyfriends.”

“What’s his name?” Tris asked.

“I can’t tell you that.”

“Why not?” Brad frowned.

I pushed myself off the couch and moved to a chair so I could face the boys.

I looked down at my lap, “I can’t tell you because James knows him. And I’ll get shit for dating him.”

“Liv,” James said worriedly. “You’re worrying me. Who is it?”

I clenched my hands in fists and tried not to cry, “Please don’t make me tell you.”

“Did he hurt you Liv?” James pestered.

I laughed humourlessly, “I thought that was obvious.”

I bit my lip and said quietly, “It’s Alex Cartwright.”

“Oh, Liv, you didn’t,” James whispered.

I stood up, suddenly angry, “Yes I did, James, and it’s none of your damn business who I date.”

“But Alex Cartwright?” James stood up as well. “Are you kidding? You know what he does to the girls he dates.”

I raised my eyebrows, “Of course I know. I was one of those girls.”

“Fucking hell,” James sat down and put his head in his hands.

Brad and Tris looked between us. “Are we missing something?” Tris asked timidly.

“Nope,” I said quickly. “Can we stop talking about me and talk about song writing, which is the reason we are here.”