Chapter 5

I woke up so early that it was still dark out. I tried to sit up, but realized that Brad’s arm was wrapped around my waist so tightly that I couldn’t move without waking him up. I slowly turned my body so I was facing him. I couldn’t resist, I reached up and brushed my hand through his dark curls. At my touch, his eyelashes fluttered and he smiled at me.

“Sorry,” I whispered.

“S’okay,” he said huskily and I giggled.

He frowned at me, “What’s so funny?”

I shook my head, still giggling. “Liv,” he said, pretending to be stern. “Tell me or else..”

I laughed out loud at the look on his face, “Or else what?”

He smirked and rolled on top of me, “I’ll make you tell me.”

“Ooh now I'll definately tell you,” I widened my eyes, faking being scared.

He leaned down and began kissing my neck. When he got to my chest he ran his tongue along my collarbone. I squirmed, “Stop! Ah that tickles.”

Brad smiled against my skin and I tried to push him off me. I guess I caught him off-guard and before I knew it we had rolled off the bed. I landed straddling his hips and smirked when he groaned.

“I win,” I said and I kissed him.

He laughed and then pulled my down so I was lying against his chest. I felt his heart beating against my cheek and I closed my eyes as he stroked my hair. We lay there for a while, listening to each other breathing.

“Liv?” Brad said tentatively.

“Mhmm?” I mumbled into his chest.

He cleared his throat then quietly said, “Do you, uh, do you trust me?”

I sat up and pushed myself off him. I leaned against the bed and looked at him sadly.

I took a deep breath, “Yes, I do.”

Brad sat up and moved next in front of me. He cupped my chin is his hand and tilted it up so I was looking in his eyes.

“Will you tell me what happened with your mum?”

I stood up and pulled him up with me. I grabbed my keys and my phone and walked outside to my car with Brad following me. It was still dark out but when I turned my car onto the highway, we saw the sky getting lighter.

“Uh, where are we going?” Brad said.

I kept my eyes on the road, “You’ll see once we get there.”

I turned off the highway and onto a road that began climbing up a hill. We got to the top and I parked and got out. Brad followed me as I climbed on top of the car.

We sat, shoulder to shoulder, looking at the sky as it grew lighter.

Brad chuckled and I turned to him, “What’s funny?”

He brushed his hair out of his eyes, “I’ve just never had this kind of experience before. “

“You’ve been missing out,” I winked and then turned serious. “This is where I come when I can’t think.”

I pulled my knees up and rested my chin on them. Brad took my hand, “Liv, nothing you say will change how I feel.”

I took a deep breath, “A month before my 15th birthday, my grandmother on my mum’s side was driving me home from the school talent show. We pulled onto this roundabout and this truck came out of nowhere, going too fast, and hit us. My grandmother died on impact-” I broke off as tears rolled down my cheeks.