To the doctor

———— Aaron Hotchner, Spencer Reid

Spencer has been looking tired and sick lately. His movements are slower and he even speaks less, to everyone's surprise. Even Rossi told me that the youngest one has been acting strange. It's time to end all this. Now.

"Spencer, come to my office." I order, leaning over the railing. Everyone looks at me. "Now." 

He gets up and I go to my office again, sitting down comfortably. Reid enters, noticeably uncomfortable, and knocks softly on the door. 

"Close the door please." 

Spencer obeys. I watch as he walks over and sits exhausted at the desk, sighing. 

"I'll get straight to the point, Spencer. We all notice that you're tired and sick, including myself." I start to say, with his little eyes turning away from me. "Don't make that face, you know I'm not lying. And based on your body language, you are. Or you plan to." 

"I haven't said anything..." 

"Spencer, we're profilers. Please." He sighs, curling up in his chair in an attempt to get away without getting up. "You know what you have, or am I wrong?" 

He shrugs, avoiding the situation at all costs. In moments like this, his attitude completely disappears and it leaves this little boy. I know Spencer's nervous and wishes he weren't here, but I don't give up and just stare at him. 

"If you're not going to tell me, then we'll go to the hospital and I'll have a doctor check you out." 

"I know what's happening to me! I can take care of myself!" 

"You're not going to raise your voice at me, young man. Drop that attitude right now." I say, using a dominant tone. Reid looks less confident than before. "Now, go get your cardigan and your things."

"Hotch, I'm not a kid, come on. I don't need that my dad takes me to the hospital because he thinks I'm sick!" He stands up, angry. "And you're not my dad."

"That's how you want to act, young man? Because I don't think it's a good idea."

"I don't give a fuck about your good ideas, Hotch."

His words and tone throw me off for a few moments, but I'm soon back in the game. 

"Sit down right now." My voice is stronger and more authoritative this time. "I said now, Spencer!" 

I order more firmly when I see that he is not giving in. He finally sits down, thanks to his docile and submissive personality, but he still has the same defiant expression and I know from experience that when something gets into his head, there is no way to get it out. He is stubborn, very stubborn. 

"You don't even know what I have..." 

"I don't need to know, all you have is a cold you haven't cared about and a rude, disobedient attitude that I'm going to stop right now." 

He remains silent, a little surprised by my words. He is sitting, almost like a statue, in his place. Reid's eyes drop to the floor quickly and stay there, avoiding my gaze. 

"I hate it coming to this. I can't believe you get to this point, to this level of disobedience, but if you want that, you will have that." 

I start preaching, looking for something in my drawers. Finally I find it: a heavy wooden pallet. Spencer looks up at the movement and freezes when he sees that intimidating object in my hand. 

"H-hotch..." 

"We won't use it yet. Now, get up and come here." 

I walk to the couch and sit there, removing the jacket from my arms. Reid remains in place, his chest rising and falling thanks to his heavier breathing.