Chapter 8

Ana groaned when something large gently poked the side of her head, waking her up. "Five more minutes" she mumbled half asleep. The only response was another poke and a few drops of something cold on her face.
Ana opened her eyes halfway and saw Smokescreen peering down at her with a slightly amused expression. A few more drops hit her, looking at him in confusion she noticed his entire frame was dripping wet. "You online yet?" he asked poking her again. Ana pushed herself up to a sitting position and gave him another confused look
"Why are you all wet?"
He just shrugged "Your planet's been dropping this water stuff for cycles now."

It took a few seconds for her tired brain to process what he said. "You mean it's raining?" she asked. Smokescreen nodded "I guess so." Ana stood up and looked out the cave It was clear last night though! She thought as rain poured outside.

Dark grey clouds covered the sky, the rain was coming down hard enough to obscure her vision, creating a mist as it pounded against the rocky outcrop. Ana took a moment to glance around the wet gloomy woods around her

we are going to have to walk in this? She thought in disbelief. "We need to leave soon; hopefully this 'rain' will slow the cons down." Smokescreen told her. Ana nodded and took a few minutes to eat a few more blackberries, and to store some for later. When she was ready to leave, she walked to the front of the cave where Smokescreen was waiting.

She stared at the torrential rain before hesitantly stepping into the woods alongside Smokescreen. Almost immediately Ana was soaking wet, and she made a mental point to walk closer to the tree trunks where it was somewhat dryer. She could see Smokescreen wasn't faring well either and looked even a little alarmed by the rain.
"Was there rain on Cybertron?" she thought aloud, glancing up at him.
"No, nothing even close to this." He paused looking down at her "Does it do this all the time?"
"Not all the time, and not always this bad, but it's pretty frequent. "It could be worse though" She added. "like a tornado or hurricane, we're lucky its only rain." Smokescreen just shook his helm "I don't get how you organics can stand it. It's like the whole planet is trying to kill you!" he exclaimed more to himself.
Ana just trudged on and wiped the water out of her eyes for what seemed like the hundredth time. The constant rain was making her shiver with cold and she was relieved to feel that the rain was slowing down. She heard Smokescreen vent roughly, sounding more like a wet gurgle than anything, and she guessed he was clearing the water from his systems.
Technology and water are definitely not a good mix.

Just as Ana thought that the rain was going to stop, large flash suddenly lit up the entire sky, causing them to stop in their tracks. Only seconds later a deafening crack tore through the air as the ground shook. Not good, not good, not good. Ana repeated in her head. Out of all the things they needed, a thunder storm was definitely not one of them.
"That doesn't sound good." Smokescreen commented glancing around. Ana gulped nervously "No, and especially not good for someone made entirely out of metal." She commented softly. Smokescreen looked down at her wide-opticed, then back at the sky. "Let's just keep moving." He said, resuming his original pace.

Ana noticed he was walking slower than the day before, and she guessed it wasn't just because of the rain. His shoulder is still injured! She remembered, and immediately felt guilty for forgetting. I hope we find help soon she thought pleadingly We both can't keep going like this! The rain was slowly getting heavier again and she could make out flashed of lighting in the clouds. There was another flash followed by a crack of thunder causing them both to falter for a second.

Ana hugged herself and rubbed her arms, trying to warm herself up. Swallowing thickly, she quickened her pace as fear gripped her chest. Smokescreen started walking faster too, all the while glancing around at the sky. Suddenly a bright flash lit up behind them and deafening thunder ripped through the air causing the ground to shake harder than before, sending Ana tumbling to the ground. She quickly sat up, wiping soggy leaves off her, and looked behind her to see a plume of smoke rising in the distance. Smokescreen was crouched low, holding onto a tree for balance, and he quickly stood up looking at the smoke. "What happened?' she asked nervously "Did a tree get struck?" Smokescreen nodded, not taking his optics off the 'what-used-to-be' tree.