20 ➸ mine

{Stockholm Syndrome - Wicked Games (One Direction + The Weeknd Mashup)}

Warning: the following chapter contains language and intimacy. Age 13+ is advised. (Lol who cares you all are reading it anyway.)

Carl

I paced back and forth hurriedly, my palms pressed together and my index fingers against my chin. I breathed in and out, my mind swelling up with what I needed to do or say.

Behind that bedroom door was a girl with heavy scars. A girl who fought through what demonic past conflicts and hardships had pulsated her veins, and yet she made it out of them. I admired this lovely girl for not what she survived, but how she survived them. The girl behind this very door had pried of her survival with scars down her wrists, but every white line and every ounce of blood that fell from her skin and to the floor only indicated that she made it, and that she was alive to love me and be mine.

It was time I stopped being greedy and realize that Samantha had harmed the strength Sage Riley held.

Twenty minutes had passed since Sage stormed into the house with tears down her pretty face. I refused to be near Samantha after what she solely did, and how solemn she was while doing it. Every word Sam uttered was all she was aware of. She knew what she was doing, she knew what beat Sage Riley down. She held something against my love that I didn't understand, nor want to.

I was waiting for the right time to join Sage inside the bedroom and approach her. But I was at loss for words. What could I do or say then?

The sound of the back door clicking had pried me of my worrisome thoughts, though I didn't flinch to see who was greeting me. I recognized dainty footsteps, ones that belonged to a girl, but not mine.

"Carl?"

The sound of her repulsive voice had curled my blood to boil. The scorching feeling had risen up my chest, through my neck and onto my tongue. I had tasted anger for people in this world, but no one at this point could beat the limits Samantha passed. I had to harshly swallow down what trickled onto my tongue. Anger tasted bitter and unforgiving.

Her footsteps edged away from the kitchen, hearing them stop a couple feet away from the bedroom door I stood in front of. She was smart to keep her distance from me then.

"Listen, I..."

My head jerked upward from my feet and to her dull eyes. Samantha could have been a beautiful girl, but her ebony heart was all I could see. Not her blonde, ringleted hair, or her soft smile. Nothing that Samantha Bishop wore on her features would ever surpass what I saw within Sage Riley.

"No, you listen, Sam. And you listen real well," I seethed sharply.

I gaped over at the girl, seeking past the rim of my brown sheriff hat. I could only imagine how my blue eyes turned down to an unforgiving shade. I clenched my jaw, biting harshly down on my tongue to keep from barking at the girl. Though I wanted to, I felt intimidation would be my weaponry tactic of choice. Samantha trembled as she saw my demeanor shift entirely. For once: I saw fear.

"Whatever you think you're getting out of this...game you're trying with my girlfriend, forget that. Forget all you think you know about her and I, because you don't," I warned. I took a step closer to her, and the lack of mercy I wore cloaked on my shoulders had her face dropping. "You don't know who we are or what we've done. We were out there fending for ourselves, and even though you wouldn't understand the first thing of survival, you need to learn when to shut your goddamn mouth. You wouldn't survive a night of what Sage fought through months and years of. You are nothing but a spoiled, putrid, unforgiving person living shamefully on what is left of this planet. I tried to like you. I tried to seek past whatever the hell you think you are, but fuck that."