Chapter Twenty: Bliss

I took my seat next to Ash in the meeting hall, at the head of the table. The squire assumed his position at the front, waiting for the others to be seated.

Once everything was in order, he droned, "Today we will be continuing the debate of war with Canterbury."

Even I could tell he was tired of announcing the same topic ever since the king's death. I presumed that the Aunt Claire was taking care of the domestic matters, as the queen mother, for the time being.

"I believe the popular opinion remains the same, am I right gentlemen?" Marcellus boasted with a smug smile as a noisy consensus followed his words.

I yearned to slap that expression off his face, but knew better. I couldn't wait to see his reaction to what Ash was about to say.

"I appreciate your opinions, everyone, but I have reached my decision. There will be no war." His voice resounded off of the cold, stone walls.

Marcellus could not contain his utter shock. It was my turn to play smug now.

He began to protest, "B-but Your Highness—"

"Allow me to finish." Ash interrupted, "I am not willing to put the entire kingdom of Sedalia at risk for one pathetic life. The rogue committed a very grave sin by taking the life of such a great man and for that, he will be punished by powers beyond us. I refuse to commit an even greater sin by proclaiming war against all the citizens of Canterbury for the act of one."

The whole court sat in silence for a few minutes. I gave Ash's hand a comforting squeeze, proud of his eloquent reasoning.

"You can't possibly mean that." Marcellus countered.

"But he has a very wise point, Marcellus." Another elder advised.

"Wise? He's barely crossed twenty! How could a mere boy like him know what someone as honorable as his father would have wanted?" The old man spat.

"Please be aware of how you address the King." The squire intercepted, reminding Marcellus of his place in court.

"I saw prince Ashton grow up with my own eyes as I've spent years advising his father, who was a true king. Ashton, you can't merely be king by title, you have to earn that honor." Marcellus continued.

I opened my mouth to express my distaste at his degrading words, but was interuppted.

"Grandfather!" Annabelle hissed, alarmed by his disrespect towards the crown.

"Marcellus, please calm yourself before you lose the respectful position you currently hold in this court." One of the other men spoke up.

"I will not! Why can't any of you buffoons see the injustice that is being served? Do you want the King's life to go in vain?"

"In vain? Grandfather, the late King, bless his soul, died an untimely death! He did not pass away to accomplish anything other than peace. What nonsense are you speaking of?" Annabelle rebutted.

"You wench, shut your mouth! Who was it that allowed you to take a seat here when a worthier man could have been here in your stead?"

Ash slammed his hand on the table, startling everyone into a tense silence.

"My decision is final. Marcellus, your presence is no longer necessary in this room. Out of respect for your service to my father, I will refer to your dismissal as retirement."