Chapter Forty-Eight: Pairs

"Are you absolutely certain every invitation has been received?" Adele inquired the messenger.

"Yes your highness, each and every one." He responded as he continued to sort through letters.

"And have you double checked for correspondence addressed to me?"

"Triple, your highness." He replied as he finishing scanning the last stack of mail.

She sighed as we walked out of the post room and back to her private quarters.

"What are you so anxiously waiting for?" I asked.

She was sprawled across her duvet, looking miserable as ever.

"Lord Arden hasn't even bothered to write me about the upcoming ball. Why would he? He hasn't sent me a letter since our quarrel, that arrogant, immature, uncouth—"

"Adele, the invitations were sent out two days ago." I pointed out.

"And it takes no longer than that for a letter to arrive from a few streets over!" She snapped before immediately apologizing, "I'm sorry Ev. It's just... you already have a partner to dance with all night long. I, on the other hand..."

"Lord Arden is of no importance, there are plenty of good-looking men in the kingdom who would beg to have a dance with you. Finding a partner would be the least of your worries because you will have more than what your feet can handle."

Her bottom lip quivered, "But it is Stephen that I want."

I couldn't help but roll my eyes, "Adele, you're a princess! You're beautiful, intelligent, charming, you are more than overqualified for him anyway. If he doesn't care to reconcile over personal opinions, then he is not mature enough to be a part of your life. I mean, agreeing to disagree is very simple. If that's too hard for him, then—"

There was a light knock on the door. We turned around to face Ash as he stepped into the room.

"Ah, I was told I'd find you here." He smiled.

Adele scrunched her face, "Can you please stop being so clingy? Ev was my best friend before she was your wife."

He made a face back at her, "My wife, the queen, does not have time for your trivial relationship drama. Find someone else to consult."

She pouted, "Ev, he's being mean!"

I shot Ash a threatening look, after which he surrendered and took a seat.

"My dear friend Stephen Arden, is it?" He mused.

"Ugh of course all your friends are less than kind." Adele shot back.

Ash's face darkened almost immediately, "He was impolite towards you?"

"Never in the sense you're thinking. We got into an argument over... father. We haven't communicated since, he hasn't even sent me a letter after receiving an invitation to the ball." Adele explained.

He sighed, "It hasn't been an easy topic for the kingdom to discuss, but little did I expect individual relationships to be impacted by such opinions. Regardless, it is what it is, it's useless to dwell over what has been done already."

"Which is why I expected him to request to be my escort to the ball!" She exclaimed.

"Perhaps he just needs some time. Or maybe he hasn't even seen the invitation himself yet. Whatever the case, Stephen is not the type to ignore matters of importance. If you want, I could talk to him too." Ash offered.

Adele looked horrified, "You? No thank you! I'd rather salvage what's left than make it even worse."

He smiled, "Suit yourself. What do you think, Ev?"

I tilted my head, "I think time can fix anything."

"Well, then that settles it. Adele, there are still plenty more suitors to come in your life. As your brother and the King, I would never limit you to a mere Lord."

She eyed him suspiciously, "Don't you dare use me as a pawn for a political union."

He grimaced, "You give me less credit than due. If even Evelyn has grown to trust me more than you do, then something is amiss."

She sighed, "Now that the issue with the taxes has been settled, don't you think a small amendment should be made to the constitution?"

"What amendment?"

"About ruling in pairs, that an individual must be married and share equal power with their spouse in order to ascend the throne." She answered, referencing the very condition that led to our marriage.

He looked at me thoughtfully, "As much as I abhorred the clause in that moment, it would have been my greatest regret to forfeit someone as perfect as Evelyn to be my Queen."

I met his gaze and smiled, "Charming, Ash. However, I do think an amendment would be wise."

His face fell almost immediately.

"Does that mean you have regrets?" His tone was hesitant.

"I wouldn't call them regrets."

"Well then?"

Adele shrunk at the sudden intensity that overtook our conversation. She hurriedly dismissed herself from her own room.

"I would say that we have been blessed with good luck."

He nodded, "Had I married anyone else, this kingdom might have been torn apart by a war without a cause."

"Exactly. What if one of our descendants falls prey to that 'anyone else'?"

"But it would have gone down that direction even if I didn't get married. Whether I married someone unqualified or chosen to go solo... you know I would have yielded to the Crown and sided with war. At least having met someone like you, I was able to change. Without the marriage, change, good or bad, would have been impossible."

"I just don't want history to repeat, Ash. We were both thrown into this, initially, against our will. We lost our youth. If your mother was able to lead the monarchy on her own until you had matured enough to make the right choices on your own, maybe life could have been even better."

He took my hand, "If that had happened and I ended up asking for someone else's hand in marriage, would you have been happy?"

I shrugged, "That's an alternate reality that we will never know. Maybe you could have even been happier."

"Never."

I smiled, "I am happy for us, for our good fortune to have fallen in love against our will, but I fear that it won't be there for every case in the future."

He sighed, "Let's take some time to think about it and discuss it at a later time."

There was a pause before he spoke again.

"Do you... do you think you could have been happier? Happier than this?"