Chapter Twenty-One: Mensiversary

· Mensiversary: noun. Term used to express a milestone passed in months, as opposed to years (as expressed by the word anniversary).

Ash's POV

I hesitated in front of her door, contemplating whether this visit would be worth hurting my pride over. As if she could sense me here, she opened the door even before I was able to knock.

"Ash? What are you doing here?" Adele asked, eyeing me with a suspicious look that mirrored mine.

"Evelyn is away with her family right now, so I thought this would be the best time to..." I bit my lip, she was never going to let me forget this, "Well the thing is..."

Adele groaned, "Just spit it out, Ash. What's gotten into you?!"

At times, rare times of course, she acted as if she was older than me. Being the generous and doting elder brother that she's so fortunate to have, I typically let her have her way.

"Tomorrow is our mensiversary and I want to do something special for her, but it's occurred to me that I know nothing about her personal preferences." I rambled, trying to maintain my proud composure.

She stared at me in awe for a few seconds before tumbling over in laughter.

"You- ahahaha... you!" She struggled to get her words out as she leaned against the doorframe.

I pursed my lips together, "You know what, maybe I don't need your help."

Before I could turn and leave, she yelled, "Wait!"

I watched as she regained her composure, "Come in, I'll tell you everything you need to know. But remember, I'm doing this so my best friend can be happy, not to help a pompous brother like you!" She ended her proposition by sticking her tongue out.

"Very mature." I grumbled.

I took the chair across from her as she sat down.

"You are so in love, Ash." She teased.

I rolled my eyes, "You don't even know what love is."

She wiggled her eyebrows, "I suppose you do?"

I groaned, "Can't you just tell me about Ev?"

She sat back and crossed her legs, "What would you like to know?"

"Well, for starters, what's her favorite flower?"

Adele yawned dramatically, "She'd rather you do something new. Flowers are so cliché, you know. Besides, how many times have you given girls flowers in the past? Isn't Ev more special than that?"

I nodded in thought, "Then what would be special?"

"Evelyn really likes personalized gifts. She doesn't care about the monetary value of things, but more so the thought and creativity put into them. Why don't you try making something for her?"

I scoffed, "You want me to make something with my own two hands? Like a peas—"

"Ash. What would she say if she heard you?" Adele hissed.

I stopped myself, "Of course. I apologize."

"And besides, if you truly want to show her you love her, shouldn't you go beyond your comfort?"

"That's a lot easier said than done." I grumbled.

Adele groaned, "How do we share the same blood?"

"Maybe you were adopted." I retorted, rolling my eyes.

She gave me a disappointed look before ushering me out of her room, ignoring my protests.