Chapter Forty-Five: Detainment

Ash's POV

It would be a lie to say I slept well last night. It was as if my eyelids never fell, yet the rays of the rising sun still stirred me from elusive doze. All I saw was her face, which seemed to radiate with utmost content. Her proclamation still rang throughout my mind, so tangible that there's no possible way that I imagined those words, despite my euphoria in that moment. Child-like glee filled my entire being as I buried my face in the pillow, only to peek at her radiance moments later.

She loves me.

It took great effort to leave her side, but the nagging sensation of unfinished business made me restless. I took one last look at her, brushing stray strands off her perfect face, before getting ready for the day.

I took my time down the stairs leading to the cells. Although I had initially planned for them to be kept in our less than homey dungeons, Ev had advised me otherwise, insisting that those be saved for more serious crimes – like murder. Sir William walked ahead of me, rattling off a list of the noble heads that they managed to arrest. About forty percent of the list refused to pay and were thus brought to captivity, while ten percent were nowhere to be found, and a surprising fifty percent paid the overdue taxes. As for those few families that dared to run away, I would have to send out a notice to the neighboring kingdoms. They would be exiled, regardless.

The protest began as soon as I entered the dank hall, lined on either side with concrete cells, presently crowded with several of the head nobles. I could tell their arrest interrupted their daily motions, as some were in nothing more than nightwear, while others were wearing their finest garb.

"Quiet!" Sir William's booming voice echoed, effectively cutting off their clamor.

An all too familiar voice responded in protest, "What is the meaning of this?"

I turned to face Mr. Hansbury, who's round face resembled a tomato at the moment.

"I believe a fine man like yourself is literate enough to understand what has led up to these events, Mr. Hansbury. Not only were you present at the council meeting, but personally received the warrants regarding your estate, yet you chose to ignore them."

"B-but this is blasphemy! Do you realize what you are doing? We are your pillars in this kingdom! Without our support, your rule will collapse! Your father would be so disappointed to see that his son lacks any political expertise, contrary to his own rule."

Sir William's hand inched towards the hilt of his sheathed sword, "You dare threaten the Crown?"

I raised my hand in objection, causing him to hold.

"Mr. Hansbury, my father committed a crime and he has been denounced for it. I'm aiming for nothing but transparency in this kingdom, trust between a ruler and all of his subjects, and if you are willing to cooperate, you will be a free man. However, if you continue evading your duties to my rule, then we shall proceed with the usual punishment for treason, including publication of your crimes under your family name."

"Family name? That means my children, and future generation, will be ostracized as dissenters for years to come!" One man exclaimed.

Another man spoke up, "I-if we pay all that we owe, will we be able to return to our families?"

I smiled, "Untarnished, provided that you continue paying your taxes consistently in the future."

I saw several of them exchange glances with each other.

"May I please send for my help? I will ensure that they arrange for the finances by this evening." Yet another added.

Several more men chimed in agreement.

I watched as Hansbury's face dropped. His livid eyes met mine.

"You will regret this. Only rabid dogs bite the hand that feeds them." He snarled.

"You speak well for yourself. Maybe you'd be more comfortable with your own kind down in the dungeons. Rabies runs rampant down there, so you'd be right at home." I mused, entertained by the fear that filled his eyes.

I turned to Sir William, "I trust that you'll take care of the records down here and give me an updated report by evening?"

He bowed, "Certainly, your majesty."

"Good work, Sir William. You'll be rewarded greatly for this!" I patted his back as I took my leave.

I hesitated to enter the dining hall for breakfast, bracing myself for the inevitable disappointment that my mother's empty chair at the head of the table would trigger. Ever since I initiated my plans, she hasn't spoken a word to me. In fact, she hasn't left her chambers for the past two days, and neither would she accept visitors. Even Adele seemed to be avoiding me, wordlessly taking her meals before quickly dismissing herself. It was very much out of character and obviously targeted towards me. My hand rested on the cool metal of the door handle. I sighed before letting go and veering in the opposite direction, towards my father's study.

I found myself facing his portrait again. His warm brown eyes stared back at me with what felt like empathy. More than ever, I needed him right now. Of course I felt guilty for being his son. What kind of father would want his own blood to condemn him in front of an entire kingdom? But... something told me he would have approved of the direction that I was taking. As if I took a step that he simply couldn't gather the courage to do. And it was with that confidence that I kept moving forward, despite the lack of support from the rest of my family.

And Evelyn, of course.