Chapter Forty: Young Love

Evelyn's POV

Adele's humming interrupted my heavy thoughts. The Hunters' Club trapped Ash in a predicament that wouldn't end well, regardless of which choice he made. Publicly admitting to his father's crimes would undermine his family's strong grasp over the common and peasant classes, who may never be able to trust the Devereux lineage again. However, not doing so means that the landed nobility would continue squandering the kingdom's finances, preventing any holistic development. For obvious reasons, the latter of the two options is the one that guarantees Ash's safety, although his pride may not agree with it.

What good is pride if he's not there to wield it?

I sincerely hoped that he understood that much. Perhaps he could continue his father's dealings. To quote the Queen, something is better than nothing.

But knowing Ash, he would much rather have the nothing rather than sell his honor for something.

While I agonized over our dilemma, Adele nonchalantly strummed away at her harp in the corner of the sitting room. I was surprised at how little her father's treason had affected her, but like her mother, she seemed to think he made the wisest decision by acting upon the lesser of two evils. Regardless, it irked me that the rest of society lacked even a nuance of what was at stake here. Did they not realize the tensions brought upon by the current events? 

But the music she produced was beyond casual, almost flirtatious.

"Adele, you seem to be rather lively today."

She beamed at me, "I suppose this is what happens when you find yet another reason to live for."

Yet here I sat, contemplating the hundred ways any decision can lead to our deaths.

I raised my eyebrows at her, "And what's that?"

She batted her eyelashes at me as she dreamily looked out the window, "Stephen Arden."

I wracked my mind at the familiarity of that name, and remembered the familiar blonde boy at the breakfast table a week ago. He was the same one who sent that letter of warning regarding the Hunters' Club.

He seemed like a fine boy, so I couldn't bring myself to chastise Adele for taking a fancy to him.

"And how long has this been happening without my discretion?" I asked, feigning offense.

Her eyes widened in defense, "Oh no Ev, you're the first person I'm telling this to! It's just... you and Ash have been so busy, I would've felt like a child had I interrupted—"

"I jest, I jest!" I repeated in between laughs, trying to calm her down.

Only partially, however. Adele's fancy is a nice diversion from the heavy thoughts that weighed me down, but I couldn't dare afford to divert my full attention to her. 

Not now, at least.

She pouted at me, "Well, now that you've provoked me, I'm going to talk your ears off about how wonderful he is!"

What had I gotten myself into?

"Before you start, does he share the same interest in you?"

She looked down at her feet, "I'm not quite sure. We met a few times, but under the pretense of gathering information for the Internal Audit Team. It would be dreadful if he doesn't feel the passion radiating from me, I mean, I try to make it as obvious as I can!"

I smiled. Never did I think there would be a day that I gave Adele relationship advice, but at this point, it only made sense.

"Perhaps you should reach out to him one of these days, after this entire mess gets cleared up. Have some tea together or show him around the gardens! Or perhaps the stables, if horses are of interest to him. The options are endless."

I could see excitement light up her eyes as she thought of meeting him privately, but almost immediately it was extinguished with doubt.

"But mother always insisted that I marry a prince of another land, simply so our family can broaden its rule. That's what father would have wanted as well."

I shook my head, "Ash would never let that happen, especially if its against your liking."

She gave me a small smile, "I suppose so, but I'd still like to be cautious. I'll proceed slowly with Lord Arden."

She giggled at the last two words. Official titles had always seemed rather frivolous to us, but to her, his seemed to be fitting.

I almost envied how carefree her life was at the moment. 

Almost.

After all, I had signed up for this out of my own will.

Now, if only he would stop brooding in his father's study and at least hint at what's happening in his mind. Although I've become increasingly good at reading his facial expressions, the thick wooden doors to the study have stayed shut all day, and unfortunately, my intuition can't penetrate through them.

Ashton's POV

The portrait of my father taunted me. His eyes, once lively and warm as honey, now resembled shallow, dark orbs, as the aged brown paint only seemed to darken his expression into a glower. Or perhaps it was the newfound evidence against his goodwill that changed my perception. I now found my duty as a son clashing my duty as a king.

A loyal son would defend his father's honor to death, while a loyal king would serve his nation with honor.

Which one am I?

My gaze shifted from the portrait to the eulogies lining the bookcase under it. Regardless of my duty as a son, history would regard me only as a king. This meant that regardless of how I behave off the records, it is what is on record that will stand for centuries, perhaps as precedence even.

More than anything, I wanted to set a good precedent. I do not want to deviate any of my descendants from their true purpose as a result of my unjust actions. More than anything, I did not want to be one of those descendants. If anyone were to look at my reign, I want him or her to look at it with revere and utmost respect for my unbiased jurisdiction.

In my kingdom, no one shall be above the law, not even the lawmaker himself.

I picked up the blotted quill, which bled into the parchment under it.

I made my decision.