Chapter Ten: Call Me Stubborn

Evelyn's POV

I quickened my pace to catch up with Ash. As if he noticed, he shortened his strides, allowing me to match them. I glanced in his direction, trying to decipher his cryptic emotions. As always, I failed. I continued to walk beside him without a word, wondering how long this would continue.

He broke the silence first.

"You must see me as a fool." He muttered.

I wanted so badly to agree, but feared for where that conversation would take us.

"I'm..." he sighed, "I'm not the best at harnessing my emotions. I mean, I excel at everything else, but this mouth of mine has no control. It is, however, very good at keeping people under control and I think it is in part due to my harsh eloquence. I suppose I'll continue to mature and learn how to manage that." He rambled.

I stared back, not knowing how to respond. Was he praising himself or making a poor attempt at an apology? For my personal sanity, I went with the latter and mustered up a smile.

"I'm sorry, too. This whole day was embarrassing... Neither of us are children anymore, and I agree that we should stop acting like so. I hope that we'll be able to cross this uncomfortable stage soon, because we both know there is no decent way to escape this marriage. We have to appear as a happy couple to maintain the kingdom's morale."

He nodded, actually returning my smile.

"You know, you're actually far more intelligent than what I give you credit for."

I stared; appalled that he said such a thing even after my little lecture.

"What? Was that not a compliment?" His face gave into his characteristic slyness.

I couldn't help but laugh at his odd sense of humor. Suddenly, I felt a burning sensation on my elbow and reflexively hissed at the pain. His eyebrows knit in concern as he noticed the bloody scrape before I did. He grabbed my arm, turning it so that he could examine it closer.

"Ash, stop! It hurts!" I protested in an uncontrollably loud voice.

I was never very tolerant of physical pain. This must have happened when I fell in the forest earlier.

"For heavens' sake, what are you two doing?" An elderly woman presented herself from the corner, startling both of us.

She had a stern look on her face, clearly not pleased. She carried a highly informal tone despite her simple attire. Her hair was as white as snow and tamed into a tight bun. Her most remarkable feature was the large, crooked nose that protruded a little too far out.

Ashton bowed in front of her, further shocking me.

"I'm apologize for the disturbance, grandmother."

Grandmother? I instantly joined him.

"Apologies won't excuse the rash behavior I witnessed today. What is this I hear about the princess not accompanying you in the coach? She rode in with a knight? The servants are having a ball with all the rumors!" She ranted.

"Please excuse my humiliating behavior today! It's just, the circumstances under which our marriage happened--"

"I don't want any excuses!" She boomed, startling me.

We both stayed low in our degrading positions, not knowing how to respond. Rather, it was better that we didn't.

"Your father would be so disappointed in you, Ashton. How did he raise you, and how are you behaving? Don't be a disgrace to this kingdom. Your coronation is in a matter of days! Never mind your adolescent age, you have his blood running in you. Think of the responsibility you will have once that crown is placed on your head! Your actions make you seem unworthy of it." She looked directly at us once more. "I hope I never catch either of you in events similar to today again. I daresay that if I do, then I'll strip you both of your titles." She finished.

A few seconds of silence passed before she dismissed us, walking off and disappearing down the hall.

I glanced at Ash once I deemed it safe to do so.

"I didn't know your grandmother was still alive."

He gave off a bitter laugh.

"Indeed, it's where my father inherited his harsh side from. She resides in this castle and rarely pays visits, so of course you've never met her. I usually ignore the old hag, she's a little senile, she holds absolutely no power as a dowager countess, but enjoys claiming otherwise." He mused, looking thoughtful.

I laughed, until we made eye contact.

"You know, I've always liked you." He said, staring into my eyes.

I stopped mid-laugh and gaped at him.

"Of course you do, you enjoy making my life a living hell."

"Don't ever speak in such a manner in front of that old hag." He warned. "And really, I do. You have this fire to you that most ladies don't possess and I respect you for that."

Too bad fires attract bugs, I thought to myself.

"But it's that very same fire that keeps us at each other's throats. If we don't want to burn into ashes, then we'll have to develop a mutual understanding"

"You mean, a compromise?" I suggested, trying to seem unfazed by his surprisingly reasonable observation.

"Er... yes, of sorts. But I'm going to expect a little more effort from you."

"Then it's not a compromise." I rebutted.

"Listen, I want you to support me. I'm going to need your help if I don't want to doom this kingdom. I know it's a lot to ask... but I guarantee you that I'm going to lose it, many times over. I'm going to say harsh things, I'm going to be hotheaded, and I'm going to be a complete, ruthless idiot until I learn to control my own emotions and feelings. Until I learn to express myself more properly, I just want you to promise me that you'll be there until the end."

"I remember the wedding vows—"

"I don't give a damn about the wedding vows. I mean, I do, but—see look, we're at it again! I just need you to promise me." He said softly, coming closer.

He was so close that I could see the specks of silver in his eyes. I watched as he slowly held out his hand. I had agreed to this marriage already, so I didn't see the big deal in saying yes to one more request. Regardless, we were in this together, whether we liked it or not. The least he could do was try to put in more effort, and that's what I took his proclamation to mean.

"Of course." I answered with confidence as I took it.

However, I silently prayed that I would be strong enough to keep the agreement I had gotten myself into.