Chapter 124

Carmen wasn't sure what was happening.

One moment, Ronin and she were sleeping peacefully, and the next, their home was being invaded by men who looked anything but friendly. Two of them even held guns at their faces and forced them out of their bedroom.

Now, it had been hours, and Ronin and she were still sitting on the couch, not allowed to move, not allowed to talk, not even allowed to check up on their son.

It was killing Carmen.

The thought that her baby boy was somewhere upstairs, all alone and scared. She needed to go to him, hug him, and assure him that everything was going to be okay. But she couldn't. Those men had refused to let her do anything.

Alas, she had no choice but to try. It was almost dawn, and if Ryan came downstairs looking for them, those men might hurt him. She couldn't risk that. She had to make sure her child was safe.

Carmen shot to her feet, startling Ronin beside her. "I need to see my son," she declared.

Ronin stood up too, but before he could say anything, one of the men walked up to Carmen and pointed the gun at her. "Sit down," he growled.

But Carmen wasn't going to back down that easily. She glared at the man. "No. I need to see my son. What kind of monsters are you people? You have already disrupted our lives, barged into our home, held us hostage, and you still don't have the heart to let me see my child? What do you want? Money? Fine. We have plenty. Take it. Just let me see my kid. I beg you. He's just a child."

The man didn't reply, but Carmen could tell her words had made no impact on him. His face remained devoid of any emotion except anger. "Sit down," he repeated, his tone threatening.

Carmen was about to open her mouth again, but Ronin grabbed her by the shoulders and forced her to sit down. "Let's not make it worse," he whispered into her ear.

"But Ryan," Carmen tried to argue, but Ronin simply shook his head.

"He's fine. Trust me, babe. He's fine," he assured her, and she wanted to believe him just as much.

But how could she?

She had no idea what these men were capable of. They had weapons. They looked ruthless. And the fact that they still didn't know what these men wanted from them made the situation even worse. Carmen wanted to scream, to cry, to break down. But she couldn't. She had to stay strong. She had to hold herself together.

Ronin wrapped an arm around her and pulled her close. "Don't worry. I'm sure it will all make sense soon."

Carmen hoped so because she couldn't live with this fear any longer.

Another hour passed, and by now, not only Carmen but Ronin too had started to lose patience. Their phones were taken from them, so they couldn't call anyone for help. Not that it would have been useful anyway, considering how many men surrounded them.

But suddenly, Carmen heard footsteps from the stairs and lifted her head in that direction. Ryan was standing there, staring at the people in their living room with wide eyes. He looked scared and confused. Carmen's heart clenched painfully inside her chest.

She got to her feet and ran towards him, but one of the men grabbed her by the arm and yanked her back. "Let go of me," she spat, trying to free herself from the man's grip, but that only made him tighten his hold on her. Carmen winced, tears pricking at her eyes. But she kept struggling, her only thought was to get to her son.

"Mommy?" Ryan called, and she lifted her head to look at him. "It's okay, baby. Mommy is okay. Mommy is right here."

Ryan took a step down the stairs, but one of the men approached him and pushed him back. "Get inside your room and stay there," he barked, making Carmen flinch. She watched in horror as her son cowered away from the man, turning around and running upstairs.