Chapter Nineteen

"Nikki, sweetheart, wake up. We're here."

Nikki's eyes fluttered open as she regained consciousness. Her immediate surrounding had not changed, she was still nestled against Josh in the back seat of their rented vehicle but there had been a drastic change in the scenery outside the car. Gone were the rolling mountains and green trees and in their place, a busy street alive with bright lights that shone on a hive of activity.

"Where are we now?"

"Doesn't matter where we are, what matters is air conditioned rooms, hot showers, free room service and," Sam's eyebrow arched as he glanced back at Nikki and Josh, "fresh clothes!"

"We're in Bucharest, we have friends here." Josh informed her.

Her attention returned to the vibrant city outside. Modern facades blended with old architecture to give the streets a contemporary vibe. People of all ages and styles were milling around, spilling from the expensive looking bars out in to the over crowded pavements.

A pang of homesickness struck Nikki as groups of friends huddled together, drinking and laughing.

They drove a couple of blocks before turning into a side street where the buildings stood a little too close to one another. Nikki craned her neck to see the night sky but a covering of clouds blocked any view of the moon or stars.

About halfway up the alley they stopped beside a beaten grey rubbish bin with the words "Rembrandt Hotel" scrawled in yellow paint. The receptacle was positioned in front of a dirty orange brick wall that housed a steel door with no visible handle.

"Here we are." Sam got out of the car and walked to the door, banging on it with his fist. A few seconds later it slid open an inch and a brilliant shaft of light dazzled the dark haired man.

Nikki observed him as he spoke to someone; he nodded once and with a big grin on his face turned to wave them over.

"Come on." Josh said eagerly as the door opened wide.

Following dutifully, Nikki hovered close to Josh and wondered about this "friend".

The battered, grimy doorway led to a dirty white corridor, which was dotted with numerous exits but they bypassed each of the mysterious rooms, instead heading toward a stairwell at the end of the hall.

As they walked, Nikki peeked curiously around Josh to see who had let them in. A svelte black haired female strode confidently along, leading the group. The way the woman moved, swaying her shapely hips, set Nikki on edge. She watched her warily; unable to take her eyes off the girls flawless, alabaster skin, which seemed almost iridescent under the unflattering florescent lights. The angel turned around and glanced at Nikki with large round hazel eyes peering out from a long feathered fringe. As their gaze met, a welcoming smile spread across her lips. "Hi, I'm Dee."

Nikki gaped. Dee was beyond beautiful. Appraising the other woman discretely, Nikki became all too aware of her own grubby appearance. She smiled back, nodding her acknowledgement before shrinking back behind Josh, desperate to avoid the eyes of this Goddess, who only served as a reminder of how terrible she looked.

"So how've you been?" Dee asked Josh and Nikki cringed. Even her voice was breathtaking with its husky tenor.

"Good thanks. I wasn't in the pen for long. What about you? You look good. Not that you don't always, of course."

Nikki's eyes burned into the back of Josh as she listened to him flirt with the woman. He was flirting with her. Envy stirred in the pit of her stomach.