Chapter Forty-Seven

"Get her out of here; take her back to where ever you came from," Josh hissed, his wild eyes darting around the swarming trees.

Nikki sighed. "Josh--"

"I'm not arguing with you Nikki." He turned back to Ezekius, panic in his voice and movements. "Can you take her--"

"No!" Nikki roared loudly, her patience worn as once again she was over looked and made to feel transparent.

Josh and Ezekius shied away as a warm glow began to lick at her outline.

"I can handle this!" Curling back her lips she bared her teeth at the advancing army.

"Nik--" Sam fell silent as her black eyes bored into his, the icy nature behind her glare freezing the blood in his veins.

"Nikki, what if something goes wrong?" Josh caught her eye and shivered, "Nikki? Your eyes."

Nikki cocked her head as she slipped into a trance like state. Finding his naivety mildly amusing she smiled reassuringly at him, her mood slipping easily from fury to comfort, the transition too quick to register.

"Guardian," her voice resonated with the timbre of four separate tones, sounding detached, humoured and maternal simultaneously, "your youthful naivety, though endearing, is entirely superfluous." Her face changed, the soft curve of her mouth replaced by an ugly, twisted grimace as her eyebrows pulled together in revulsion. "They will fall at our feet," she growled.

The blue tinge flickering around her grew, the heat pushing her companions back. Her impressive flame increased, swallowing her whole and creating a magnificent shield as she walked towards the circle of hooded cloaks.

"Wait." Josh followed her but she ignored him.

The body of black silently parted as she strode confidently through the densely congregated demons, she was neither afraid nor concerned. In her mind she knew exactly what she was going to do and it was simple.

Since her first encounter with the Hounds her power had grown, she was no longer thrashing around wildly like a child learning to swim, trying to discover who she was. Now she was confident in her power and she held no fear as they advanced. This time she would show them her true identity as the queen of their enemy. The Blood Hounds would die, the Penseleno Demons would perish and Nikki would return home to Latébris.

She understood now. The thick fog clouding her mind since this saga had begun lifted leaving her sure and resolved. Suddenly there was no questioning her true purpose, it was as clear as day.

Latébris was her motherland. That was where she truly belonged. Side by side with the Kings she would rule as Queen and united they would annihilate Malus Deamn and his parasitic followers. It was all so clear and uncomplicated; she failed to comprehend why it had been so difficult to reach this conclusion before.

She glided unhurriedly forwards, her fingertips sparking with the raw energy coursing through her. She felt the centuries of sleeping power awaken and charge through her blood. She was a Goddess.

All the conflict she felt melted as her charge grew, dissolving all her insecurities and doubts. She closed her eyes and breathed deeply and calmly. With her mind clear, she felt the presence of the Three Prophets, their conscious joining with hers and welcoming her to their group. She felt alive and purposeful. She belonged here alongside these kings, she was Unus.

Serenity flowed from her as she peacefully made her way to the first row of progressing demons. She turned and made her way in to the forest, heading out of the clearing to meet the stalking masses head on.