Chapter Fifty-Six

Nikki stalked menacingly forward, sneering as her loathed enemy stood grinning terrifyingly back at her. With her three brothers by her side Nikki knew that the demons of Mortemb were damned to the deepest depths of the worst hell imaginable, and with them their ancient leader.

"I'll take him, you concentrate on the minions," Nikki purred, eying her victim hungrily.

The other prophets didn't speak but broke away from their linear formation. Nikki could feel their thoughts and excitement. They were rippling with electrical tension causing her flame to glow brighter with dark anticipation. Never before had she been in such a situation but she knew this was her moment. She was where she needed to be, the final piece of a vast puzzle spanning centuries and worlds. She was the pivotal instrument by which this battle would be won.

They glided away from her, their bodies easily twice the size of hers, bulky and strong, covered by cloaks as black as the night sky. One by one they turned their ivory faces to her and smiled, their thin lips pulling taught over jagged black teeth, the horizontal slits of their eyes glowing. Nikki found it captivating.

They looked only slightly human, their bodies being far too large and their faces too flat but what distinguished them the most from their human sister was the stretched face that was elongated to a point at the chin and their complete lack of nose. A slit cut midway in to the face was all that decorated their ethereal features.

Smiling back Nikki nodded once before continuing onwards, into a swirling mist of Penselno demons. The mist grew into a thick fog, closing around her and obscuring her vision. Her skin prickled as the temperature dropped but before they could attack she released a flare so bright and scorching it burnt right through the dense pulsating haze. The Penseleno demons screamed as Nikki torched through their gassy skin, and shrank back from the powerful force emanating from her.

"Is that all you've got?"

Malus Deamn watched her with keen eyes, his mouth slightly open and salivating.

And then his gaze slid lazily past her. Enraged at his obvious lack of respect she turned to see what could possibly be of more interest or concern to him than she.

"You!" she roared, turning her back on Malus Deamn and glaring at Josh.

Her Guardian was stumbling slowly towards her trying desperately to remain upright whilst avoiding the warring demons in his path. Josh held his arms out to her, his dark floppy hair covering one eye as he blindly fought on.

With a laugh Malus Deamn strode forwards and with one blackened hand struck Nikki hard, knocking her to the right. She flew to the floor, her body slamming against the unforgiving ground causing large flickers of blue to singe the bodies surrounding her. Cursing she steadied herself, turning her head she laughed openly and loud.

"Are you so ridiculously stupid that you think a simple swat of the hand is all it will take to destroy me? Do you think my world so incompetent you overconfident fool?" she bellowed, her anger and fury spilling out of her as she righted herself.

With a swift hand motion imitating that of Malus Deamn's moments before, she sent a stream of screaming blue fire towards her opponent's legs. As it hit him he cried out and fell to his knees, the town once again trembling as his weight came crashing down. But Nikki was not paying attention; she had found a new source of anger.

Josh lay on the floor grappling with the vicious jaws of a Blood Hound as it snapped them just above his face. He grunted as it clawed at him, hissing in his face and baying for his blood.

"I told you to leave." Nikki bit as she knelt next to Josh and laid a hand on the Hound.

It yelped once before springing back on to its haunches. As soon as it had cleared Josh she waved her hand.