Chapter Fifty-Three

In the murky distance Nikki listened as ferocious snarls ripped through the air; vicious warnings of the blood bath to come. With the power of Unus flooding through her rushing veins she crept silently on through the mud coated decimation, tingling with excitement and adrenaline, heading closer to her desired destination.

Calmly she paused and closed her eyes as she summoned the sleeping force from her charged body. With a surge she opened her eyes and reveled in the flash of intensity as her vision once again tinted with the red haze she now loved. She was out to destroy and the thrill shuddering through her brought a sinister smile to her lips. Mortemb would fall at her feet.

With a startling rush she surged forwards, her wired muscles pushing her forward as she picked up her pace and the growls grew louder. She made her way to the giant statue in the square under the cloak of darkness moving with precision and poised agility. She could feel the tension and hatred hanging in the air over the town like a thick, dense fog, which only served to heighten her senses and exhilaration further. Her fingers trembled as she ached to reach her gathering horde of demons, the pull they exuded too strong to ignore.

She reached the end of a line of houses and cocked her head, the crescendo of animalistic noises building into a deliciously sweet symphony. Carefully she slunk forward, darting over the open road in the blink of an eye, her pent up power giving her unnatural speed and dexterity. Never before had she felt so alive or so dangerously powerful. She could feel the energy but rather than it trying to consume her she had complete control, holding it back with centuries of learned patience and skill.

Gracefully she leapt a large stonewall and landed with a gentle thud, crouched and ready to fight. Her eyes scanned the area picking through the shadows easily but she was alone. The demons had clearly decided on a face-to-face battle and her position behind the buildings in the square was deserted. Mortemb had no idea of the untamed fury she would unleash, they were as harmless as a kitten against a dragon; their pathetic stand against Latébris would be a simple massacre rather than the all-out war they were hoping for.

"Foolish." Nikki grinned gleefully.

Extending her legs she danced forwards, the mounting conflict making her lightheaded and giddy. Not one of her enemies would remain standing; they would all perish in her beautiful flames. As her muscles contracted begging her to rush onwards she denied herself, choosing instead to delight in the pleasure of anticipation. Her body buzzed with electricity.

With a deep sigh she closed her eyes and bathed in expectancy. This was better than any foreplay she had experienced; her entire body vibrated with pent up aggression and confidence. She was a queen and after today she would take her rightful place on the throne of Latébris. She would rule her armies and control her world. She was a goddess.

"Ah," she breathed as her eyes opened and her gaze fell on the dilapidated building she'd been drawn to time and time again.

The sweet irony of where her attack would take place was not lost on her as she made her way through the shadowed, empty doorway. Entering the building, she stepped over the debris littering the floor, her new vision allowing her to pick through the blackness effortlessly.

She crossed the room slowly, absorbing the ambiance of the building. Staring at the empty space in the window where once her loyal subjects had hung, Nikki balled her fists.

"You will be revenged my fallen kinsmen. Today, here in this historic place witness the destruction of our despised and damned enemies." She purred her promise, her voice dripping with jagged menace.

Reaching the doorway at the opposite end of the room, she walked through and headed up the slick stairs. She was in no hurry. She wanted to savor every second of the new day, the new era for her world.