Chapter Six

It was early evening and the last of the dying rays of sunlight were being chased away by the oncoming night. Nikki had slept all day and was feeling refreshed, despite her unsettling dream.

After a much-needed shower and change of clothes, she felt the remnants of her nightmare slip away, draining down the plughole with the soapsuds and water.

Emerging from the bathroom, towelling her hair dry, she leaned against the doorframe and stared at Josh. He was still in the chair. His gaze locked to hers.

"So where are we heading?" Nikki asked, discarding the towel and grabbing her hairbrush from the bag.

"I can't tell you that." Josh answered apologetically.

"Why not?"

"It's for your own good, trust me. The less you know right now, the safer you are."

"But where ever we're heading, there's something there that can help me?"

His face remained impassive as he nodded his head. "Are you ready? We need to get moving."

With a shrug of her shoulders, Nikki threw the brush back in the bag and snatched up her coat. "Fine," she grumbled.

Josh smirked; standing himself up he grabbed the holdall and strode to the door. There was something about this girl that amused him. He knew her type, head strong to the extent that she would do something detrimental to prove a point and yet so pitifully vulnerable and frightened.

She had no idea of the things she would encounter or the struggle she was facing, but she would find out soon enough. He also knew she would stand and fight - not because of her courage or her strength, of which she had plenty, but because of her sheer stubbornness.

"C'mon sweetheart, let's go," he teased, holding open the door and ushering her out in to the hallway.

Nikki turned her back on Josh and strode down the dimly lit corridor, heading towards a narrow staircase. Her mood spiraled down as she descended the stairs and thought about her deadly situation.

As they walked, Josh kept a close eye on Nikki. She made her way outside with her head bent and her eyes averted and it was clear that her mind was elsewhere.

"You hungry?" he asked, swinging open the door and climbing in to the car.His clear voice dragged her back to the present and she considered his question.

Her stomach was empty but she couldn't face eating."No, not particularly." She forced a smile to her lips. "So, road trip." Her vice was light and fake as she slammed the door.

Gritting his teeth, Josh grabbed the steering wheel tightly and swallowed down the overwhelming urge that had exploded within him the second she'd trapped herself inside the vehicle. Plastering on a grin, matching hers in enthusiasm and falseness, he smiled to cover his unexplained impulse.

"Road trip," he replied, pulling out of the car park.

His knuckles turned white as his grip tightened and he wrestled to gain control of his body. What was wrong with him?

"Mind if I put the radio on?" Nikki asked, obliviously leaning forward to play with the dials before waiting for his answer.

"Not at all." Josh breathed, thankful of the distraction.

Music poured from the speakers, the tune familiar to him and enticing his fingers to drum out the beat.

In a daze, he followed the road out of the town and turned south, heading on to the motorway. Trying desperately to ignore the woman at his side, Josh attempted to understand the strange desire that had engulfed him. He glanced briefly at Nikki - her head leaned against the glass and she had her feet resting on the seat with her knees pulled up. His breathing sped and the urge grew. He wanted her in every way possible.