The Relationship Writer - Chapter 2

Chapter 2

The whole way to school, I walked tried to stay about ten feet ahead of Aaron at all times. He was the type of guy I didn't want to mess with. He just seemed so arrogant, but the sad thing is, that's the kind of attitude the "populars" love to accept. And God knows what would happen if I tried mixing myself in with the populars.

"Why are you walking so fast?" Aaron called behind me. He sounded curious, which was a bit annoying, but I was glad he kept his distance. At least he didn't try to catch up with me. I was distancing myself for a reason.

"Because you're annoying," I replied. I didn't even look over my shoulder at him. Who did he think he was? Just because my mom asked him to walk me to school doesn't mean he can talk to me. It's funny; I'm acting like the popular kid, and Aaron's acting like the social outcast. Everything will change once we get to school. Oh, joy.

"That's barely a reason!" Aaron complained. I rolled my eyes.

"It's reason enough for me," I said blatantly. I waited a few seconds for Aaron to reply, but after counting down from ten seconds, I was glad not to hear his voice. I smirked to myself. It's a refreshing change. For the whole span of our five-minute walk so far, Aaron had been interrogating me on why I was walking so far ahead. Now, in the sixth minute of our walk, I was glad to hear nothing but the birds chirping and the occasional car pass by.

"Are you going to issue a restraining order?" Aaron asked out of nowhere. I groaned loudly, making a face. I stopped walking and spun around to face him, fuming with anger.

I guess I spoke to soon.

"Rawr," Aaron said, smirking at me. I clenched my fists at my sides. Usually, I'm very good at controlling my anger. But with this guy, I just feel like losing control. I just want to kick him where the sun doesn't shine.

"Shut. Up," I growled. “Just shut up and leave me alone already.”

I put so much hatred into my words that I was sure I would really get him to shut up this time. I didn’t want to hear his stupid voice anymore, or even his footsteps. But obviously, I can’t just make him start hovering above the ground so I can’t hear his footsteps, so I’ll just settle for getting him to shut up.

Aaron stared at me blankly, and I glared back. I wanted him to feel like I was burning a hole into him with my gaze. I had a feeling I was succeeding, because Aaron was completely silent. His usual amused expression had wiped away. I felt the urge to smirk at him, to mock him with his own usual expression, but that would probably urge him to keep talking, like it was all good. But it’s not. It’s most definitely not all good.

I was about to spin around and keep walking, but Aaron opened his mouth to speak. And the blankness on his face was gone. It was replaced by a grin. I narrowed my eyes.

“Are you trying to scare me? You look like a cat,” he said finally. He was still grinning crookedly, obviously amused. I, on the other hand, was most definitely not.

My eyes widened and my nostrils flared as I inhaled sharply, my teeth grinding together. I let out some sort of strangled, frustrated noise, momentarily hating my mom for sending this immature, arrogant, obnoxious…

I clenched my fists even tighter than before. I had just met Aaron several minutes ago, but I already knew how I felt about him. Ever hear of love at first sight?

Well this is hate at first sight.

~~~

I got to school about a whole thirty seconds before Aaron. Wow. A whole thirty seconds of bliss.

The rest of the walk over here was just the same as before my confrontation. I swear, that boy has to be the most annoying one I've ever met in my whole life. It's horrible. And today, I discovered that I have to share more than half my classes with him. I scowled at the thought.

What's worse, though, is that he's my neighbor. Ugh. Even though Aaron's good-looking, I'll give him that, he's definitely not the ideal "boy next door".

I glanced over my shoulder, hoping Aaron didn't follow me inside. I wanted him to be caught up with other things already, before he can see where I am on the Lincoln Park High food chain. The last thing Aaron needed to know is that I'm labeled a "bottomfeeder".

I looked just in time to see Aaron immediately become overwhelmed by girls. The popular girls, no less. There were about five bottle-blondes surrounding him, the most popular one being Dana Chapman. Ugh. I felt a sudden pang of pity for Aaron. I raised my eyebrows slightly, wondering if I should go help him or not.

When Aaron looked up, his eyes met mine. He stared at me blankly for a few seconds, before sending me a sly smirk. Oops, nevermind. Did I say I felt pity for him? I meant hatred. I rolled my eyes and turned around to walk up the steps that led to the front entrance.

Everyone was just milling around outside, hanging out with their friends and chatting and stuff like that. But I, on the other hand, was already heading to my locker to get ready for my classes, like the good student I am.

I was pretty happy that Aaron was already attacked by the populars. I didn't want him to be in the same social category as me; he would annoy me to no end. No, I wanted him to be in a different clique, and because I'm a bottomfeeder, Aaron had nowhere to go but up. Besides, who knows how he would get along with my type of people?

I quickly dialed the combination to my locker, glad that it hadn't been changed over the winter break. Yeah, Aaron just decided to drop in after my winter break, just in time to ruin the better half of the school year. Joy.

My locker clicked open, and I quickly stuffed everything I didn't need for first period into my locker. I made sure I kept my notebook though, even if journalism is third period. I still have time to scribble down story ideas for the school paper in the first two periods.

At just the thought of third period, I got all giddy. That was where my life was. In the journalism room. That was where all my friends were, behind computers and printers, or pitching ideas from behind their desks. That was my safe haven from everything and everyone else.

Then, it hit me. I suddenly remembered what I saw on Aaron's schedule.

Third period. Mr. Wright. Journalism.

Crap.

<><><>

It's a little short, I know. But this is just the beginning of the story, and I have faith in this one! :D