The Relationship Writer - Chapter 13

Due to some lovely encouragement, I am uploading. Tee hee, that was such a mature-sounding sentence. Weeeeeeird. o.o

Anyways, hope you like it!

<><><>

Chapter 13

Walking through the school's courtyard was a dangerous feat.

Well... not really.

All I had to do was walk about ten feet away from Aaron, and I would be fine. Heck, I was more than fine. That walk through the courtyard was almost pure bliss without Aaron bugging me.

What's more, Dana Chapman didn't even look in my direction. Perfect. I don't need a repeat of what happened last Monday.

Dana did, however, throw herself at Aaron. I didn't know whether I should've laughed or taken pity. I bit my lip at my indecision.

Since I was a good distance away, I couldn't really hear was Dana was purring into Aaron's ear. Not that I wanted to, because... ew.

I slowed my pace down until I came to a stop. Even though Aaron was probably enjoying having Dana wrapped around him like a boa constrictor, I still needed him to walk me home. Or rather, to his house. I scowled. I definitely wasn't going to interfere this time.

I watched curiously as Aaron detached himself from Dana. I raised an eyebrow, mentally smirking at the enraged expression on Dana's face. I almost laughed.

At least I look like a cat when I'm mad. Not like some sort of female version of the devil.

Oh my gosh. I can't believe I actually agreed with something Aaron said.

I quickly pushed away the thought and snickered to myself, still thinking of Dana's outraged expression. Hilarious.

"Riley," Aaron said, snapping me out of my thoughts. I jumped, looking up at him. I gave him a confused look. He just smirked.

Of course.

"We're leaving now," he told me. I frowned slightly, but nodded. Aaron chuckled and ruffled my hair, walking past me. I glanced around, still confused.

Then I saw Dana.

She was fuming. I wouldn't be surprised if she turned red and smoke started coming out of her ears. Oh, and some foaming at the mouth wouldn't be out of the question.

At first, I cringed. But then I realized she was only angry because Aaron chose me over her. And I know that sounds like we were fighting over him, but we weren't. For Dana, the worst part had to be that I wasn't even fighting.

Oh, sweet victory.

I smirked to myself, then glanced back at Dana. I stuck my tongue out at her, feeling oh-so-mature.

I kept making faces at her as I was walking, watching her get angrier by the minute. Eventually, she got so fed up she shrieked in anger and stomped away. I started laughing to myself... until I crashed into something hard.

I stumbled backwards, regaining balance before Aaron could touch me. I didn't want to feel as humiliated as last time. I held up my hands to let him know I was fine. But he shook his head, smirking at me. I grimaced.

"I saw that," he said smugly. At first, I was confused as to what he meant. But something clicked in my brain, and my eyes widened. Aaron let out a bark of laughter as I winced.

The faces. He saw the faces I was making.

Great. I probably just boosted his ego to the sun.

~~~

"Soo..." Aaron said, attempting to break the extremely awkward silence. I resisted the urge to cringe.

"Hmm," I responded. It was barely audible, and I'm not sure if Aaron heard.

"I see what you mean," Aaron said, feigning interest. I rolled my eyes. So he heard me.

"You know," I said, ignoring him as something came back to me, "I never asked how you got into my house this morning."

Aaron looked confused for a second, but then realization flitted over his features. He let out a laugh and started rubbing the back of his head, messing up his hair. He looked a little embarrassed, and it made me wonder why. He grinned sheepishly at me, making my heartbeat increase slightly.

Ugh. Why does he have to be so handsome? Why can't he have an ugly face to go with his ugly personality?

...did I just call Aaron handsome?

"Well, you might not believe me," Aaron said, still looking sheepish, "I tried knocking first. But I'm assuming your parents weren't home, since they never opened the door." I scowled.

"I don't know either, since you forced me to jump out the window instead of going downstairs like a normal person," I said. Although, I had to admit that climbing down the side of my house wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. It was... exhilirating.

I don't get out much, okay?

Aaron chuckled at that. "I couldn't exactly be seen walking you downstairs, Riley." He looked thoughtful for a few seconds, before a devilish glint appeared in his eyes. He winked at me. "You know how suspicious that would've looked?"

I flushed, quickly pushing away the idea. Suspicious of me and Aaron? That's not right.

"Right," I said, sounding humiliated. I only blushed a deeper shade of red. Aaron chuckled, ruffling my hair. I whimpered and pulled away, trying to fix my hair. Aaron smirked at me in amusement. I grimaced, eventually just putting my hair into a bun. "So how did you get in my house?"

Aaron adopted the sheepish grin again. "I was only being a good friend..." I raised an eyebrow at him. "Friend?" I questioned. He shrugged.

"Climbing into your window was the only way," he said quickly, avoiding my gaze. He looked afraid.

Oh, my gosh. He has the right to be afraid! That little--

"Creeper!" I shrieked, grabbing my notebook and smacking Aaron with it. "I can't believe you would climb through my window just to wake me up! You're like, the freakin' bed intruder! There really is a rapist in Lincoln Park! How could my mom trust you?! Oh my goodness, this is--" I smacked Aaron with my notebook again, and he looked at me blankly. After a few more hits, I backed off, crossing my arms. Aaron's dark blue eyes bore into mine. I told myself to hold his gaze and try to look as pissed as possible.

Then he burst into laughter. He burst into freakin' laughter.

"You know," Aaron said between laughs, "most girls would be flattered. Aaron Ross doesn't climb through just anyone's window."

My jaw dropped at the comment, and I quickly made a move to smack him again. He quickly moved backwards, grabbing my wrist. I glared at him.

"You're insane," I snarled. Aaron smirked.

"Only for you," he replied smoothly.

<><><>

I swear I was gonna write more, but it's getting late, and I'm getting tired. So boooo :(

But in the next chapter, you'll get to see how Aaron and Riley actually write the articles. So yeah, it's gonna be interesting. :3