The Relationship Writer - Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I stood rigid, trying not to be too intimidated by Dana's harsh gaze. I failed. Dana Chapman's glare went through you like laser beams.

"I, uhh, I..." My hands began shaking, so I clenched them into fists. "Umm, I..."

"Spit it out," Dana spat. Yeah, if only I was capable. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to calm my nerves. It was just Dana Chapman. It's not like she had anything on me.

"I need to talk to Aaron," I blurted. My eyes widened as I cowered away, not even waiting for Dana to make a move. If she wanted to slap me, she would have to catch me first. But Dana didn't move. She just stared at me, analyzing my every move. If she was even capable of analysis. It may sound too smart for her. I cleared my throat and stood up straight. Dana burst into laughter.

For the first time since I encountered the two, Dana finally peeled herself off of Aaron to clutch her sides. She doubled over hysterically. Instead of running away from her witch's laughter, I actually just grimaced. Even Aaron was smirking slightly. That made me want to rip out my hair.

"Nice to know I can be taken seriously," I grumbled.

"Just leave Aaron alone," Dana managed to choke out between laughs. "He doesn't want a whore like you!"

I had heard the vulgar word too many times already. Hearing it for the billionth time today didn't weaken me. It only made me clench my fists and grit my teeth as I tried to ignore it. Being called a whore had become a normal thing throughout the course of the day. Heck, it didn't even make me mad anymore.

I couldn't say the same for Aaron, though.

Next thing I knew, Aaron had Dana pressed up against the lockers. I flinched, stumbling backwards a few steps. I couldn't see Aaron's expression.

"What did you call her?" Aaron said in a low, dark voice. "What did you say?"

That's when I figured it out. Aaron wasn't trying out some seductive tactic on Dana. He was pissed; I could hear it in his voice. Dana didn't seem to realize.

"Babe, I called her a whore. It's what she is," Dana purred, wrapping her arms around Aaron. I gagged. What a hypocrite, calling me a whore when she's the real one herself. "Let's ditch the bitch and get out of here," she stage-whispered. It was just loud enough for me to hear, and I winced. I crossed my fingers, hoping Aaron wouldn't succumb. Deep down, I knew he wouldn't.

And he didn't.

Aaron pulled himself away from Dana and glared at her. For the first time, I saw his expression. His dark blue eyes were venomous, and his jaw was clenched, making it more defined. He looked absolutely furious.

Dana, on the other hand, looked bewildered. Her hair was a tangled mess. From what? Who knows. But her expression was a mixture of shock, horror, disgust, and anxiety. Geez.

"If you ever," Aaron said in a dark tone, "call Riley a whore again, I will ruin you."

Tension hung in the air as Aaron glared at Dana for a few long moments. I bit my lip, itching to get away. I couldn't tell what Dana felt at the moment, but I would hate to be her. No matter how good-looking or charismatic Aaron was, he still looked terrifying. After what felt like decades, Aaron turned away from Dana and faced me. My eyes widened. His eyes softened. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Dana storm off in the opposite direction.

"Riley," Aaron breathed. "I'm sorry."

I turned all my attention back to Aaron. My lip trembled at the sight of him. Don't cry, I told myself. You've done enough crying for ten lifetimes. Biting my lip, I swallowed the lump in my throat and bravely stepped towards him. I had to restrain myself from kissing him, even though I hadn't kissed anybody before. Meaning, I wouldn't know what it felt like to want to. But I guess I do now. I shook my head, my shaking lips involuntarily forming a smile.

"Don't be," I murmured. Tears were already forming at the corners of my eyes, and I tried shaking them away, cursing myself. I looked down at the ground sheepishly, hoping Aaron wouldn't notice.

"Riley," Aaron said softly. I felt his hand gently tilt my chin up. Aaron's dark blue gaze met mine. I inhaled, taking in the beauty of his eyes.

Geez, how corny was that?

"Aaron," I said levelly. He broke out into a grin, his dark blue eyes sparkling with genuine happiness. I bit my lip to keep the smile off my face, but it just burst out onto my face, and I grinned right back.

"Have you read the newspaper?" Aaron asked, sounding casual. But the way he watched me was far from casual. There was an unreadable emotion in his eyes, and his grin began to shrink slightly. I raised an eyebrow.

"Way to ruin the moment," I grumbled, looking away. Aaron chuckled, gently pushing my cheek so I was looking at him again. He took the newspaper from my hand and held it up between our faces and I blinked, taking a few steps back. It took a few seconds for my eyes to adjust and focus on the front page.

Once I read the headline, I almost exploded. But in a good way.

Aaron lowered the newspaper slightly, just enough for me to meet his eyes. I could tell by his eyes that he was trying not to grin.

"This is a fake," I breathed, looking at the newspaper again. "Dear God, this isn't real."

"You don't want it to be?" Aaron asked, feigning a hurt expression as he put the newspaper back in my hands. I shook my head quickly, my mouth still hanging open.

"It's... it's..." I was speechless. Dropping the newspaper at my side, I stared at Aaron, wide-eyed. His smiled faltered as he stepped closer, resting a hand on my cheek. He brushed away a tear I wasn't even aware of.

"Oh God, Riley. I'm sorry. I know you're not fond of attention, but I just..." Aaron trailed off, his voice sincere. He looked so disappointed.

"Don't be sorry," I whispered, my arms wrapping around Aaron's neck. He looked taken aback, but his arms enveloped me immediately. Our faces were only mere inches away. Despite the way I was blushing furiously, I pressed my lips against Aaron's.

Just as I had expected, there were sparks. Wait no, they were freakin' fireworks. I closed my eyes as Aaron kissed me back, and I felt my feet leave the ground.

It was my first kiss, and I barely knew how to do it, or if I was even supposed to breathe. But all I knew was that I loved it, and I loved Aaron.

I bet there's a bunch of confused people right now, probably wondering, "What the hell did that newspaper say?" Well, it definitely wasn't the school lunch menu, if that's what anyone was thinking.

Dear Riley Evans, I'm in love with you.

By Aaron Ross

<><><>

I'm really sorry it's so short. I was afw for the longest time D: (afw = away from writing)

But seriously, this could be the last chapter. If you want it to be! If you guys vote, then I'll upload another chapter, or maybe a few more ;D

OH! And if anyone is OCD, or just a perfectionist, then buy Wreck this Journal. It's the coolest book EVER. It's supposed to help get rid of perfectionism, but it's not written like a therapy book or anything. The book is quite literally a journal, and it gives you instructions on how to wreck it. Example? Bring this book in the shower with you. :3