The Relationship Writer - Chapter 5

My 2011 summer vacation has officially begun! ;D So naturally, I log onto my computer first thing in the morning. x3

<><><>

Chapter 5

I stormed out of third period, not even holding the door for anyone behind me. They would all have to catch the stupid door and hold it for themselves. Yeah, that's how upset I am.

I grumbled incoherently under my breath as I walked to my locker. I violently twisted the lock and jerked my locker open. I glared at the contents of my locker for a while, so mad I could barely move without wanting to throw something at the wall.

I can't believe Aaron took what I've wanted for my entire journalism career, which began the first day of freshman year. I worked so hard in that class since my first day of high school, breaking my back just to get my own column someday. The first two years, the columns were always swept up by seniors that rightfully deserved them. But Aaron Ross?

He doesn't deserve a thing... especially what deserves to be mine. Not to mention that he has no idea about what he's going to be writing.

I groaned in exasperation, scowling and sticking my head in my locker. I probably looked like an ostrich, you know, since they stick their heads in the ground. I ignored the thought and slumped over, recalling what had happened in class.

Right after Mr. Wright had announced Aaron's "punishment", my jaw had dropped to the ground, and my stomach completely cramped up. Aaron began to protest, but Mr. Wright didn't let him get a full sentence out. Aaron kept on, though. So Mr. Wright added on to the so-called punishment.

"Mr. Ross, I had absolutely no idea what this column would focus on," Mr. Wright had said, "but the most brilliantly torturous idea just popped into my head."

At that, I had perked up a little, just as Aaron let out some sort of strangled noise. Maybe he'll have to write about the cleanliness of the bathrooms. Or the chess club. Ooh, or the lovely school lunch. Note the sarcasm about the lunch. Aaron would probably die if he had to write about any of those topics. I waited a little impatiently for Mr. Wright to continue.

But what Mr. Wright said next... My mind was completely and utterly blown.

"You," Mr. Wright said, taking steps towards Aaron's desk, "will be writing the column on relationships."

My jaw had dropped to the ground, and I was ready to get up and speak against it. I was going to say how unfit Aaron was to write about relationships, since he probably just uses girls for fun. I just met Aaron today, but that didn't mean I didn't already know what kind of guy he was. Besides, Aaron looked just about ready to protest right along with me.

But then, the bell had rung before we got anything out. Saved by the bell? I think not.

Ugh. Leave it to Mr. Wright to pick the biggest player in school to write about something he's never had. Sure, I wouldn't have been any better, but at least I'd have an idea on how someone's supposed to feel and act in a relationship. Anyways, if I would've gotten that column, I probably wouldn't even have to write about relationships. That was just part of Aaron's punishment.

I sighed loudly, the sound echoing around my locker. It was really the only thing I could hear, since my head was so deep inside. If anyone wanted to talk to me, they would have to... Wait, no one wants to talk to me. I'm just a loser who lost her column to her player of a neighbor.

It's making me miserable, really. I knew that Aaron Ross could annoy me, but not potentially ruin my career. I don't even wanna go to next period. I think I'll just stay here and mope, until...