The Relationship Writer - Chapter 7

So, in this chappie, there's a time lapse, since the first six chapters of the story took place in less than a day. I've never written six chappies that all took place in a single day o.e

Enjoy! xD

<><><>

Chapter 7

Clink.

Who just dropped a fork in my room?

Clink.

No, no. It sounds more like a spoon.

Clink.

Maybe it's--

Clink.

Okay, I don't care what the hell it sounds like. What in the world is making such an obnoxious sound?!

I threw my covers off me and whipped my head around. I glared at my clock. It definitely wasn't that, since I had obviously turned the alarm off. Seriously, no one puts on an alarm on a Saturday morning.

Clink.

My eyes narrowed and started darting around the room. What the heck is going on? I got out of bed and started sneaking around my room, checking my drawers, under my bed, and inside my trash can for anything that could be possibly making that annoying sound. And honestly, after the crappy week I've had, I don't need more nuisances in my life.

After I had run home sobbing on Monday, the week became a disaster. Dana had already glued herself to Aaron, prepared to kill any female that looked at him, and Aaron was more popular than ever. As was I.

After my little incident that sent me home crying that Monday, I became the laughing stock of the school. I mean, I was terrorized before. But now, it's nothing compared to what it used to be. Now I'm not just "nerd" or "loser". I've heard things like "pathetic" and "desperate" already, something I'm never aiming to be.

Not that I ever aimed to be a loser either. But hey, giving up my social life for journalism... I guess I deserve it. Truth be told, I've gotten used to it. I still devote my life to writing, no matter how crappy my life is right now.

But it sucks that Aaron got that damn column.

That's another reason my life's been downright horrible. Aaron keeps asking me in class for help on how to write it, and if I wasn't ignoring that jerk, I would help him. It just irks me so much to see someone struggle so much to write about a topic that's so incredibly easy. I mean, high school relationships aren't complicated at all.

Well, unless everything my grandparents told me is wrong.

Clink.

The simple sound brought me back to the present. I balled my hands into fists and groaned loudly. What in the world is making that noise?! I swear, I will find the source and throw it out the window and--

Clink.

That's when I realized I couldn't throw whatever it was out the window. Because the source itself just happened to already be outside my window.

I stormed over to my over-sized window, pushing the window panes outwards, just before there could be another little sound. I looked around and up, hoping that the noise didn't come from birds going all kamikaze on my window. My life's bad enough already.

Geez, to think it's all because of one arrogant, obnoxious, easily amused guy.

"Birds don't make that sound," a voice came from below me. I groaned internally. Speak of the freakin' devil. I took deep breaths and counted backwards from ten, giving myself mental advice on every other number.

10, 9... Ignore him, Riley. He's only here to ruin your life some more.

"Wanna look down now?" Aaron went on.

8, 7... Just because he's your neighbor doesn't mean you have to forgive him.

"What do I have to say to get you to pay attention?"

6, 5... He's a jerk. Don't listen.

"Come on, Riley. Listen for a second."

4, 3... He's only trying to talk to you because Dana isn't around. Whatever he wants, it'll disappear again on Monday.

"Really, it's important."

2, 1... He sounds really serious... No! Bad Riley! Don't listen to him! Whatever you do, do not look down!

I gripped the window sill, wrinkling my nose at the fact that I had run out of numbers. Unless I'm prepared to count down to the negatives, I better make a decision. Look down, or look away.

I was about to look away without hesitation, and slam the window panes in his face. But then, words came out of his mouth that were probably totally foreign to him. Heck, I bet the whole aspect itself of the words was completely alien.

"Riley, I'm sorry."

So my decision changed from look away to look down, and I sighed, pursing my lips at Aaron.

"For what, exactly," I deadpanned. For the first time since I realized who it was, I saw Aaron's face. He actually looked genuinely sorry, but I needed to clear up what he was sorry for. I wanted to know if he was aware of what he did.

He totally ignored me and ruined my life, that's what he did. And I hate him for it. But if he's willing to make amends, I could cooperate.

"For everything," Aaron said, looking down. I saw that he had been holding a handful of pebbles, but then he dropped them to the ground. They spilled around him, making dull thuds on the grass. I couldn't help but notice how much he looked like an innocent little kid at the moment. It was so deceptive, I almost laughed.

"Go on," I said, trying not to smile. Despite being annoyed with Aaron everyday, I actually wanted to hear him talk this one time. I rested my chin in my hands, trying my best to look bored.

Aaron looked up at me incredulously, his eyes wide and his mouth hanging open slightly. I had to try so hard not to laugh. "Seriously? I apologized, Riley. I don't have to say what for," he said in bewilderment.

"Oh," I said, shrugging, "then apology not accepted." I pushed myself away from the windowsill, and I couldn't help feeling a little disappointed. I guess Aaron doesn't know what he's sorry for.

I closed my window as slowly as possible, hoping Aaron would call me back at the last second. I really was itching to hear an apology from possibly the least apologetic guy in the world. But I guess I wasn't going to.

About a minute later, my window panes were only halfway closed. I didn't dare look down, because I knew for a fact that Aaron would be smirking at me. Honestly, the one time I actually want to hear Aaron talk, he shuts up... maybe I should use reverse psychology on him...

"Geez, Riley. If you're going to close your windows that slowly, you'll have to bury me in your yard," Aaron called. My eyelids fell over my eyes in annoyance. I looked down at him, pursing my lips.

"If only," I said flatly. And with that, I closed my window. That, everyone, is why I hate Aaron Ross.

Clink.

Oh my gosh, if I hear that sound one more time, I'm going to go down there and murder Aaron myself. Before I could stop myself, I thrust my window panes outwards and glared down at Aaron. I was about to start telling him off, but then, a tiny pebble came in contact with my forehead. I blinked a few times, wondering if it was only a figment of my imagination. But when I looked down and saw Aaron looking all sheepish, I knew the tiny rock had actually hit me.

Ohh, that's it. I clenched my teeth and pushed away from my windowsill, prepared to knock Aaron's teeth out of his handsome little mouth.

<><><>

Second upload in a day ;D I might upload again, because this part's going to be fun to write :3