The Relationship Writer - Chapter 18

Chapter 18

"Mom, stop that. I have a headache," I whined, swatting away the hand touching my shoulder. I turned over and buried my face in my pillow. I frowned, noticing how flat it was. "Did we get new pillows?"

I heard a deep chuckle. That's when I forced my eyes open in horror.

I gritted my teeth when my eyes met dark blue ones.

"Get. Out," I snarled. I glared into his eyes, hoping he would get the message that I hated him. Aaron just sighed, sounding relieved. He leaned back in his chair, running a hand through his hair.

"You scared the crap out of me," he said, cracking a half-grin. I scowled at him, partly for being so dang handsome.

"I don't think so. I still think you're full of it," I mumbled. That only made his smile grow, and I shot him a look. I half-expected him to stop grinning like an idiot, but of course, he didn't. His blue eyes just lit up happily.

"What the hell's wrong with you?" I asked angrily. I tried getting up, noticing I was in the nurse's office, but winced and fell right back onto the bed from the pounding in my head. Aaron almost got up from his chair, but I sent him a meaningful glare that told him, "Sit your butt back down."

"I'm just..." Aaron trailed off, looking down at his hands. I rolled my eyes. "I'm just relieved. I almost lost my mind when you passed out."

My breath caught in my throat. Did he sound... worried?

I quickly shook my head. Stop it, Riley. He's probably just here so he can look good. He probably doesn't give a crap about you.

I know he doesn't care about me.

"Just leave," I said, feeling my eyes tear up. Great, I was crying. I buried my face in my hands, mentally smacking myself in the face and cursing under my breath. Things couldn't get any worse.

But apparently, they could.

I felt my hands being pried away from my face, but gently. Aaron's face entered my blurred vision, only making me want to cry more. I bit the inside of my cheek, putting a stubborn frown on my face. Aaron looked pained, still holding on to my hand. I yanked it away.

"I'm sorry, Riley. So, so sorry," Aaron said softly. I took a deep breath, almost forgiving him. But then my heart turned to stone, and I squeezed my eyes shut, pushing him away.

"Just get out," I said. "Leave me alone."

There was silence. But finally, I heard Aaron sigh softly, and the scooting of a chair. I knew he was standing at this point, and already walking out the door.

I breathed out, slowly letting out the breath I was holding. I finally knew that Aaron would leave me alone.

"I won't, until you forgive me," Aaron said. My eyes snapped open, locking with his gaze for a second. He looked determined, his jaw clenched. I pursed my lips as I watched him leave.

~~~

I was half-happy and half-upset about being able to go home early. I wasn't happy that I had to miss fourth, fifth, and sixth period, but I was glad Aaron didn’t walk me home.

I let out a strangled sigh at the thought of Aaron. That boy was just so… confusing.

But you can’t even imagine how confused I am, considering the fact that I have absolutely no romantic experience with boys. Heck, I’ve barely even talked to boys. You know, except for Mitchell. But I’ve known him before I became obsessed with journalism.

I lied down in bed and snuggled into my covers. I exhaled loudly, trying to release all of my stress.

Yeah, like that’ll happen.

That’s when I jumped out of bed and grabbed my notebook. Writing has always relieved stress, for some reason. Although it was a huge part of my life, I had no intention of finding out why. It was just something I did. It was my thing.

I flipped open to a blank page, making a mental note to get a new notebook soon. I clicked my pen, putting it to the paper, and just writing whatever came to mind. It’s called fastwriting, something I learned in middle school.

Halfway through, I even closed my eyes. I was barely paying attention to the words I was writing, so that made it all the more legit. I mean, what would be the point if you actually thought about something to write down, when you’re supposed to write the first thing that comes to mind.

“Gahh!” I winced, lifting my pen away from my leg. I rubbed the part I accidentally wrote on, trying to get the ink out.

That’s the only problem with closing your eyes. You don’t know where you’re going.

I moved my gaze to the page, almost fearfully. I squeezed my eyes shut before I saw the first word, praying that it had nothing to do with Aaron. I pursed my lips, mentally scolding myself for being such a pansy.

Dark blue.

My lip twitched. I went to the next line.

Crooked.

Smirk.

Heartbreaker.

Arrogant.

Annoying.

Confusing.

Apology.

I almost slammed my notebook shut from panicking. I bit my lip and swallowed, daring myself to read the last few lines.

Different.

Enchanting.

At this point, I was almost hyperventilating. I mean, I knew it was bad, but not that bad…

Aaron.

Ross.

Aaron Ross.

Aaron Ross. Aaron Ross. Aaron Ross.

That’s when I finally slammed my notebook and threw it at the wall. It fell to the ground with a dull thud as tears began to blur my vision. I buried my face in my pillow, crying into it.

What’s wrong with me?

<><><>

alsdkjfalsdkfj, SCHOOL. so. much. work.

I'm taking AP World History this year, and it's not necessarily difficult, there's just A LOT of work. Plenty of note-taking. and then, since I'm not used to the sleeping schedule, I have to go to sleep at 9:30, which really doesn't give me much time to finish homework, between eating, exercise, and you know, daily stuff. AAAAAHHHHH.

So there's my explanation of why I haven't uploaded in a while. :S Just know that I'm EXTREMELY sorry D: