Chapter 2 "Italy, the Country of Desires"

Veronica didn't have time to collect herself, as she heard the announcement to fasten the seat belts. The plane began to descend. Four hours in the sky passed in the blink of an eye. She was in anticipation of something unknown and exciting. She had never felt like this before, as if she were on a light cloud of perpetual waiting.

After seeing the city, Veronica was impressed by its distinctness; modern buildings seemed to be stone rocks, well-polished by human hands and showing excellence in architectural style, as well as the airport itself, which became the first hallmark of Rome.

Having entered the airport and collected her luggage later, she waited for a man with a sign 'Romantic Tour'. People were bustling in and out like ants and there was no rest from the faces that were flashing before her eyes all the time. These people were in a hurry, late or meeting their acquaintances, friends and relatives, but it was absolutely not annoying for Veronica. On the contrary, she wanted to enjoy the happiness of people and forget at least for that moment that she was alone. No parents, no one who could brighten up her trip, only her aunt and her close friend Ricardo, who were her family. But they were so far away...

Veronica's thoughts were interrupted by a loud female voice. It was clear at once that the voice belonged to an escort. The blonde, of about thirty, gestured lightly with her hand, calling for the tourists, trying not to lose anyone. She looked stylish; she was wearing white wide cotton trousers, a blue transparent blouse with lining, which was translucent on the shoulders and the abdomen, and light leather sandals. It was obvious that she had lived here for quite a long time and was well informed about the climate and the fashion in Italy. The guide knew this country as one would know one's ten fingers.

Veronica approached the group, while the guide was calling every tourist by name. When it was her turn, she was afraid that the guide and the rest of the people would notice her awkwardness, travelling alone in a foreign country. But to her surprise, Veronica discovered no one minded that, and all the tourists were getting acquainted with each other, talking amongst themselves.

After checking the entire list of tourists, the guide decided to introduce herself, "My name is Clara, as in the good old Russian tongue-twister."

All those present giggled. They liked her sense of humor.

"Don't get lost. Unfortunately in Rome, for the most part, the color of the umbrellas is similar. So I'll keep my umbrella up and wave it from side to side, so that you know it's me."

The tourists nodded in unison and followed the guide. Deep in her thoughts, Clara went ahead, flickering in the air with her umbrella, so that no one was left out. After telling a little about the history of the airport, Clara pulled the crowd to herself, and soon the whole group came out on the street. The temperature and the climate were radically different from that of Veronica's home town. Veronica didn't expect it to surprise her so much. Rome's climate was unlike the one which she was accustomed to in Petersburg, where it was wet and cold. Here the air seemed to be so dry and enveloping as if you were being wrapped in a warm, soft blanket.