Chapter 1.1 "Another Life"

Continuation of chapter 1

"I have ordered a taxi for you." Henrietta told Veronica, while she was packing and then combing her unmanageable blond curls, standing before the oval shaped mirror.

"Why do you need to spend so much?" She reproached her aunt.

"Because I want to." Raising her head proudly, the woman said. "Moreover, I will know that you'll get safely to the airport."

"Aunt Henrietta." Veronica interrupted her. "A taxi is not very safe either."

"My good and close friend will give you a lift. He is sixty years old." The woman laughed, knowing what worried her niece, Veronica.

"What I really cannot understand is where your links are from."

"They just remained after my husband." Henrietta announced sadly, remembering her late spouse.

"Your beloved husband will always be with you." Veronica assured her, putting her own hand on the shoulder of the strong, but at times vulnerable woman.

"I feel it." Henrietta replied quietly. But remembering that it was time for her niece to hit the road, she added quickly, "I don't want to feel sad about my past anymore, darling. Go fast! I am so worried about you being late for the flight. There could be setbacks any time; traffic jams or the car can be delayed on the way. You know we live in a big city."

"Okay, my dear aunt." She agreed, hugging firmly the closest and dearest person she ever had. Veronica wished her all the best.

Suddenly the intercom rang. Henrietta knew immediately that it was the taxi for Veronica.

"Wait!" She exclaimed, running quickly into her room. She returned in a minute with a piece of paper.

"It is my relatives' address in Rome. If you happen to have some spare time, find them. I am not very sure, but they must have left for the Galapagos Islands. But if they haven't, you could meet them. They are very pleasant people. I haven't had the time to inform them that you are flying to Rome. Everything has turned out to be so spontaneous and unexpected, as you know. Your trip to Europe wasn't planned in advance."

"Don't worry. I'll try to find them if I have some free time. But I think you understand that these little excursions in my schedule will make my days fully occupied." Veronica tried not to upset her aunt by telling her the absolute truth.

"I know, but take it." Henrietta stretched the piece of paper to her and Veronica nodded.

"Thank you."

"Take care of yourself." Henrietta said in a trembling voice, feeling a lump rising in her throat and tears welling in her eyes. She didn't like bidding farewell to her close ones because farewells reminded her how short life was.

"For your sake alone, I'll be cautious." Veronica promised, hugging firmly the good, wonderful woman who loved her so much.

"My golden girl." Henrietta whispered, and unable to hold it in, she turned back. She gestured to Veronica to pay no attention to her face which was covered with tears.