The Day After the Storm

May's POV

Waking up a little drained, she notices she's under the sheets. She knows Jermaine came in the room, because she never lays in the bed after a blackout. She stays curled up in the corner. Slowly getting out the bed, she walks into the bathroom.

In her mind, she tries to rehearse what she's going to say to Jermaine. Explaining blackouts are never something she has been comfortable doing.

While she brushes her teeth, she finally comes up with a decent way to approach the situation: straight forward. The only thing at this point to do is apologize. "No one should ever have to deal with a grown woman who can't control herself during a damn thunder storm" she thinks to herself. As the thought run through her mind, it strikes a cord.

Holding her stomach while she sits on the bathroom floor, She cries uncontrollably. The thought keeps running through her mind. Each time making her more ashamed at the situation.

The idea of having to deal with this for the rest of her life is enough to drive her insane.

(Her cellphone rings)

Trying to pull herself together, she picks up.

May: (clears her voice and exhales)... Hello.

Dr.Rahj: Hello, are you ok? You sound unlike yourself.

May: I just woke up. (Fake laugh)... What's up?

Dr. Rahj: I missed you, where are you? We have a session today.

May: (Rubs forehead) I forgot to tell you. I'm in New York for work.

Dr. Rahj: Oh, I'll call you later on today. We'll do our session over the phone.

May: Sounds good... Bye.

Dr. Rahj: By the way, you're a horrible liar. Bye. (Hangs up)

As she gets on her feet, she catches a glimpse of herself in the mirror. She looks drained and her eyes are blood shot red. After her shower, she finally looks decent enough to approach Jermaine.

She walked down the stairs and to find Jermaine in the kitchen making something to eat. Shirtless, he has a bandage patch across his chest.

May: Did I do that? (Spoken softly while looking down)

Jermaine: (Looks up) ... Yeah, but I think I deserved it. All those lame attempts to flirt with you finally caught up to me. (Chuckles) .. Sit down.

May: (Sits at the table and waits for him to join her) ...

Jermaine: (Sits across from her and slides her a bowl of fruit salad).. So..

May: Jermaine, I am so...

Jermaine: (Cuts her off) You're completely fine, eat.

May: But I feel like...

Jermaine: (Cut her off again) May, eat.

While May eats, Jermaine watches her and makes sure she eats every bite. Every time she glances up at him, he gives her a smile and notions her to continue her meal.

Jermaine: Do you remember anything from last night?

May: (Mouth full) .. Huh?

Jermaine: (Smiles) I said do you remember anything from last night.

May: (Swallows) Oh, uh. Not really. I remember being in a corner praying and then I woke up in the bed. Thank you for helping. I noticed my knuckles don't look nearly as bad as it usually does. (Looks up and sighs).. I just wish you didn't have to see that.. I don't know how I am during the blackouts and looking at your chest, it's not good.