seven

[ Sam ]

"Why is this mandatory?" I moan quietly to myself in annoyance as I finish packing my bag for school.

I, for one, am not looking forward to the first day back. I absolutely loathe school with every ounce in my being.

It's not the heavy amounts of school work that pisses me off, that I can handle with no effort. It's just that every year I get asked the same, dumb questions.

"Are you new here?" someone I've been going to school with for years will ask me.

And everytime I reply with, "No, I've been going to school with you since kindergarten."

I'm invisible at school and nothing I do can change that.

This year it's a bit different because I'm starting high school and my sister goes to school there. Hayes will be starting there as well.

Cameron graduated from high school last year while Nash is just going to be homeschooled due to his demanding schedule.

Hayes can actually attend school because his schedule is a little less demanding. Luckily for me, he failed a grade when he was growing up so he'll be a freshman as well this year.

"Sam, I think we should start heading over to the guys' house," Victoria suggests when she reaches the bottom of the stairs.

Victoria definitely fits the look of your stereotypical popular girl. Blonde hair, blue eyes, the best clothes and a boyfriend who's the quarterback of the school's football team.

Growing up, many girls I've encountered have wanted to be just like her, men being one of them. She's just so well put together that it makes anyone in her presence.

Today she casually dressed in a black Givenchy t-shirt, with ripped jeans shorts, aviators and an effortlessly, perfect messy bun.

I look down at my baggy black t-shirt with my high waisted denim skirt. Our outfits are so similar but obviously it looks better on Victoria, as usual.

Cameron offered to drive us to school since they were going to drive Hayes anyway.

I nod my head, wrap my bag around my back and head over to my parents.

"Bye, love you," I tell both of them, giving them each tight hugs before following Victoria out the door.

"I can't believe it's your senior year," I mumble as Victoria and I walk across the street.

"Ya, it's pretty surreal," she agrees. "Can't believe that this is my last year in that hell we call school," she adds and we both chuckle. "I know I'm gonna miss it though, especially going to school with my little sister."

I smile at that surprisingly nice comment that came out of Victoria's mouth.

"Ya, soon you'll be gone and I'll be all alone," I huff in disappointment. My sister and I just started to become close this summer. It sucks that I only really have a year left with her.

"You'll be alright, you'll have Olivia," she enthuses and I grimace at the thought. "you'll also have Hayes," she reminds me and I grin at the fact that I'll still have my best friend.

"I guess I will."

We walk up the porch to their front door and knock. The door is opened seconds later by Hayes.

"Sammy!" Hayes exclaims in excitement although I don't know why, I mean it's just me.

"Hi," I mumble giving him a small wave. He doesn't approve that as a suitable greeting so he wraps an arm around me in a quick hug.

Nash and Cameron shortly exit the house but before we leave Cameron makes Hayes, Victoria and I pose for a "first day of school" picture for his "Instagram". I personally don't know what that means but I stand next to Hayes and smile regardless.

Everyone brings to hop into their seats of Cameron's black SUV. I go to the back to sit with Hayes while Victoria sits in the middle.

"Nervous?" Hayes asks me as I secure my seatbelt. His nervousness is evident in his voice.

"No," I reply simply. "There's nothing to be nervous about."

"Yea, there is," Hayes exclaims,"It's the first day of school."

"So what?" Hayes looks dumbfounded with my response. "It's okay if you're nervous, I'm just not," I shrug.

"I hope we have classes together," he mumbles hopefully. I nod my head in agreement.

I don't know what I'll do if I don't have a class with my one and only friend.

I definitely don't know what I'll do if he finds other friends who he likes more than me.

That will surely kill me.

//

"Hayes Grier," Hayes tells the teacher handing out schedules in the school lobby.

I follow suite and tell her my name receiving my schedule as well.

"It's the moment of the truth," Hayes overdramatizes. I roll my eyes handing him my schedule.

He continues with his over-dramatization and flips both schedules simultaneously.

After looking over them for a few seconds he finally speaks, "good enough." He sighs then hands both papers over to me.

His "good enough" honestly scared me but it seemed that we at least had one thing together.

"Hayes this is way better than good enough," I exclaim grazing through it.

We had 3 classes and lunch together this semester as well as 2 classes next semester.

"6 out of 8 classes, wow," I enthuse.

"I would prefer to have 8 out of 8 classes together," he pouts sadly.

I roll my eyes even though he is being incredible sweet.

"Hayes it would be impossible for us to have gym together," I point out reminding him that gym was not a co-ed subject.

"I guess you're right," he sighs shrugging.

The other class we don't have together is because we took different electives so we have as many classes together as possible.

I pat his cheek lightly before grabbing his hand and pulling him down the hall.

"Come on, let's go find our lockers."

Hayes' locker was only 5 away from mine due to us being in the same home room and our last names being alphabetically near each other.

After we do what we needed to do at our lockers -- which wasn't much to be honest, Hayes and I go in search of our homeroom.

Let's hope this goes well...

//

posted a pic of Sam in her first day outfit