Chapter 1

My eyes took a second to adjust to the bright light almost blinding me. I took in the barren room I lay in. The white walls and white tile floors were just as uninviting as the people.

Hospitals were meant to be places people got better. I have a different experience. I failed again. I lost count after the fifth or sixth attempt.

Every time is the same. I get admitted, some therapist talks to me and then it's a new Home for me. It's like a game to see where they ship me next.

A woman in her early thirties walked in. She had brown hair that was tied in a ponytail.

"Ah, Mr. Fuentes, I see your awake, " she said cheerily.

"Obviously," I replied, my words dripping in venom.

She looked taken back and after leaving two pills and some water beside my bed, she left the room.

Shortly after, a doctor came in. "Good to see ya Mr. McKinnan, " I said and went to hi-five him.

He stood still and after a moment, he sat down. "Way to leave me hanging," I muttered under my breath.

"Now Vic, I've been your therapist for a long time and this was your eighth suicide attempt. " he began."And with you it's the same routine over and over again. So me and your social worker have agreed that a Home for troubled children is where you should be at this moment. "

"A-are you serious, " I stuttered in disbelief.

"There's one in San Diego that has agreed to take you," he said formally.

"And try to get better. And try to make this one work," he said as he stood up and left me alone.

I let the pillows swallow me as I took a deep breath, preparing myself for the grim reality of my future.