River Spirit

1 year later, Human Calendar.

Mikoto yawned a bit as she swept the floor of her Mentor's room with a broom. It had been a year since she, Kirito, and Eugeo had become gaurds, and then took the Sword Master Academy's entrance exam. She was now dressed in a standard long sleeved grey uniform with a short skirt, under which she wore shorts like she would with any uniform she wore.

As a younger non-senior student at the academy, Mikoto was designated as a Valet under a senior classmate, a Noble Elite Swordsman.  The Noble would act as the Valet's superior and mentor. Usually, Nobles picked their Valets, and they tended to pick Valets whom were from respectable families that were comprised of other Nobles..

Gorgolosso Baltoh though, Eugeo's mentor and the 3rd best ranked Swordsman in the Academy, picked Eugeo because he was like himself.. both not coming from Noble families, and as a result, they had to work hard to get to the point they did now..

Usually, those from noble blood could get into the Sword Academy without having to go through the tournament and become guards, and then work up to make it into the academy.

In any case.. how the Elite Swordsmen Nobles were ranked, was through a tournament that was held once in a while in the Academy.

Kirito was picked by the 2nd Seat Elite Swordswoman, Sortiliena Serlut, somebody who was known as the Walking Tactical Manuel, and whose family was famed for developing unique fighting styles with unorthodox weapons, like whips.

Mikoto however, had the strangest teacher. She too was an Elite Swordswoman.. however, she wasn't even ranked. Mainly because she refused to participate for unknown reasons. Rumor was, that Ashley Rowena was the best swordswoman in the entire Academy.. but the rumors were never confirmed thanks to her refusal to enter any competitions. However, those who few who witnessed her Flowing River style claimed that they were glad they never faced her in battle.

She was also the oddest of all the Elite Nobles.. as to why she was considered such.. well, that could be observed from her attitude. And her unorthodox teaching style was often commented upon in the Academy. Instead of merely sparring with Mikoto and teaching her the Flowing River, she helped Mikoto develop other styles she roughly knew, but didn't use to often use.

For example, when she discovered that Mikoto had learned a style called the Amakusa Remix Church style.. she began to drill her in it constantly, and encourage Mikoto to develop her own unique vibe to it, and focus less on the Aincrad Style, which was Mikoto's main sword style.

And the kicker was.. Ashley was one of the few people who knew about Mikoto's esper abilities.. and together, she had helped Mikoto develop the Railgun Style.. a sword style developed in secret for the day that Mikoto entered her first ranking tournament.

"Knock Knock!" Sinon entered the room, smiling. She was now dressed in an armored chest plate, green coat and black clothing, boots and gloves. (It's the same outfit Sinon wore in Sword Art Online: Hollow Fragment).

"Archery Corps let you off on a break?" Mikoto said, smiling tiredly. "I'm almost done with this.. then we can hang.."

"Need a hand?" Sinon asked.

"Nah.." said Mikoto. "Just a bit more dust, and everything is spiffy clean.."

"Yuniko said to meet her tonight on the hill again." said Sinon. "I think she intends to use way more missiles this time.. that Viral Railgun Training is going to kill you someday you know."

Mikoto shrugged and yawned again. "Maybe.. maybe not.. all I know, is that I am tirrrreed... "

"I hope that doesn't mean you're too tired for a REWARD HUG!!!" A voice shouted.