Chapter Nine

Amelia

I decided to head to bed after the small confrontation with Dion. I fed the dogs, noting that I only had a couple of days food left for them. Checking how much cash I had left too, I roughly calculated I could keep us going for another eight weeks, if I stuck to my budget.

What I needed to figure out most importantly was my next move from here. In all honesty, my unexpected pregnancy had scuppered my plans somewhat. My initial plan had been to head east; namely New York. Santini didn't control anything over that end of the country and I knew for a fact he was extremely sensitive with even heading east, let alone right to the heart of his arch enemy's territory.

The fact I'd acted quicker than intended had not only cut my cash flow in half but stalled my plans, too. Half the cash meant I could no longer sustain a cross country journey. I'd improvised and fled with what I had in whatever direction my feet took me.

After a decent sleep, I woke up feeling refreshed and somewhat guilty for my outburst at Dion. Looking at the clock, it was mid-afternoon already. I sat up and reached down for my bag, picking through the handful of clothes I'd brought with me. As the sad reality of my desperate situation sunk in, a light tap sounded on the bedroom door. The dogs immediately sprang into action, jumping off the bed and running to the door, barking. I shushed them and ordered them away from the door.

"Yes?" I said, pulling the duvet up around me.

The door opened marginally and through the gap popped a small weathered woman's face edged with bleach blonde hair. "Hello there," she said. "I'm Blaze. Dion asked me to show you the ropes, help you get used to how things run around here."

"Thanks," I said. "But I won't be staying long."

"Can I come in?"

I hesitated. I found her a little forward, but she seemed friendly enough. "Ok, sure."

"So where are you planning on going?" she said, slipping through the door and closing it behind her. "I did a bit of travelling in my younger years. Maybe I can point you in the right direction."

"I'm not sure. Initially I'd planned for New York but I had to leave earlier than I planned so didn't have the cash for it. I've just headed wherever I felt like going."

"Who are you running from, honey?"

I licked my lips and sighed. "My husband."

"He beat you?"

"Ha," I said, smiling. "I think beatings from him would have been far easier to take."

She motioned towards the bed. "Can I sit down?"

I shuffled backwards and nodded.

"New York is way overrated," she said, sitting down. "You're far better off in a nice little town in the west."

Smiling, I said, "You mean like this one?"

"Well, yes. You've got everything you could possibly need all in one place. Being pregnant and all, you need some stability, honey. You're going to find everything you could ever want or need right here."

Cogs started to turn in my head. I studied her for a few seconds, taking care to keep my tone of voice calm. "He sent you up here, didn't he?"

"Who?"

"Dion. He sent you to come and talk to me, didn't he?"

She opened her mouth but faltered. No words came out.

"Where is he?" I said, throwing the duvet back. I called the dogs to heel.

"He's in his office but he doesn't like being disturbed when he's in there."