Chapter 3

'Why is this door closed?' Mr V questions at us all. Silence echoes around the library as none of us answer.

'How are we suppose meant to know? We are not supposed to move, right?' Bender answers.

Mr V stalks over to Claire, 'Why?'

I swallow the lump in my throat, if anyone was going to rat Bender out it would be her. 'We were just sitting here. Like we were supposed to.' She answers.

'I think a screw fell out' Bender says to try and get Mr V out.

'It just closed, sir,' Andrew chimed in.

Mr V scowls at each of us in turn lingering longer on Bender. 'Who?' he asks us again.

I hear a squeak to my side and turn to see Allison with her head down on the desk, covered by her jacket hood in an attempt to hide.

'She doesn't talk,' I tell Mr V as I turn back to face him.

'Give me that screw.' Mr V demands as he heads towards Bender.

'I don't have it.'

'You want me to yank you outta that seat and shake it out of you?' Mr V asks.

'I don't have it,' Bender repeats, 'Screws fall out all of the time - the world's an imperfect place ...'

'Give it to me Bender.' Mr V growls, Bender just stays quiet. I watch as Mr V walks until he is in front of me, I raise an eyebrow in question. 'Maybe your girlfriend has it.' He says as he slams he hands on the table.

I snort, how lady like I think to myself, 'Why sir, would anybody steal a screw. Also as much as Bender wants me to be his girlfriend I'm not.' I reply as I smirk at Mr V while leaning back in my seat.

Mr V glares at me, 'Watch it young lady.' Then with that Mr V walks over to the library doors. He looks around before spotting a folding chair which he then grabs and places in front of the door as he held the door open with his other hand.

'The door is way too heavy sir,' Bender tells Mr V, but Mr V just ignores him.

Then Mr V lets go of the door, and it slams shut. 'God damn it!' he exclaims, causing everyone to laugh. 'Andrew Clarke!' Mr V calls out, 'Get up here, come on, front and centre let's go.' He says as Andrew gets up and heads towards the door.

'How come Andrew gets to get up?' Bender asks, 'If he gets up, we will all get up, it'll be anarchy!' Bender says, as I watch Mr V and Andrew lift up a rack of magazines. Once the door was held open by the rack, Andrew tried to climb back into the library. However he slipped and fell against the rack causing Bender and I to start laughing again.

'That's very clever sir,' Bender starts, 'but what if there's a fire?'

'Yeah, I think violating fire codes and endangering the lives of children would be unwise at this junction of your career sir.' I add.

Mr V pauses then looks at Andrew, 'Alright, what are you doing with this? Get this out of here for God's sake! Whats the matter with you? Come on!' he scolds.

'You know the school comes equipped with fire exits at either end of the library.' Brian says while pointing at the back and then the front of the library.

'Show Dick some respect!' Bender replies causing me to smile. I watch as Mr V and Andrew walk back over to us, Andrew takes a seat as Mr V begins talking again.

'I expect a little more from a varsity letterman,' Mr V scolds before turning to Bender, 'you're not fooling anybody, Bender! The next screw that falls out is gonna be you.'