Chapter 102 - Lord Maoqiu

"You must accept the thank-you gift!"

Zheng He wouldn't agree otherwise. As for what they were thanking her for, everyone was aware, so there was no need to mention it further.

Strictly speaking, Zheng He and his brothers were not well-off. So even though they didn't gain much this time, they genuinely wanted to give something to thank Zhang Yiyi for taking the beatings for them and rescuing them from peril. They had enough means to be generous.

Especially Zheng He, who took the opportunity to stuff many useful items for Foundation Establishment cultivators into the bag, taking more than the others combined.

If Zhang Yiyi were just an ordinary rouge cultivator, she would definitely have a hard time calmly accepting such a windfall and would be excited beyond measure.

But Zhang Yiyi was not a true rouge cultivator. Moreover, even without considering her background, just the vast amount of resources she and Maoqiu had amassed during their trip had expanded her appetite and perspective; this thank-you gift was merely a small token.

Seeing this, Zhang Yiyi didn't hesitate and graciously accepted the storage bag, thinking that this was her way of repaying Zheng He and the others for taking the beatings.

It really is true that doing good deeds occasionally leads to good rewards.

"Linlin, I have to return to the City Lord's Manor for a bit. I'll take you to the biggest auction in this place in a few days when I have time."

After everyone else had left, Zheng He still reluctantly pulled Zhang Yiyi aside to remind her again and again.

"If anything happens, just send me a communication talisman, and I'll respond immediately. Also, if there's an urgent matter and you can't find me, you can look for Uncle Guan. He's usually at the City Lord's Manor and you should be able to find him."

Zheng He went on and on, acting like a concerned father without realizing it.

"I understand, Brother Zheng, don't worry! I'll be leaving now!"

Zhang Yiyi felt her ears were about to get calloused from listening, and finally couldn't take it anymore. She waved her hand and turned away with Maoqiu, striding out.

She returned directly to the small courtyard she was renting. Before even entering, she spotted Liuzi looking out toward the door.

"Sister Han, you're back!"

Seeing Zhang Yiyi return safely, Liuzi ran over happily.

Calculating the time, Zhang Yiyi had been out for almost five full days, just as she had mentioned she would be gone for three to five days, so it was almost time for her to return.

Liuzi, who treated her like a benefactor, was always worried about her safety, fearing something might have happened to her while she was out.

At the same time, Liuzi also noticed Maoqiu sitting proudly on Zhang Yiyi's shoulder, instantly filled with curiosity.

Zhang Yiyi smiled and nodded at Liuzi, and the two of them entered the small courtyard together.

"Sister Han, is this your spirit pet?"

It was Liuzi's first time encountering a tamed demonic beast up close.

Sister Han's spirit pet looked a bit like a hedgehog, and it seemed to have a bad temper and looked quite ugly. He wondered how such a beautiful fairy-like Sister Han would like a demonic beast like this as a spirit pet.

However, before Zhang Yiyi could respond to Liuzi's comment, Maoqiu was already furious.

"Squeak!"

You little brat, I'm a ferocious beast! Do you understand? You're the spirit pet; your whole family is spirit pets!

Maoqiu immediately started cursing. If Zhang Yiyi hadn't grabbed it, it would have lunged at the clueless little boy and bitten his neck off by now.

"Maoqiu, don't you remember what I told you?"

Zhang Yiyi covered Maoqiu's mouth to stop its endless complaints.

Though others wouldn't understand what it was saying, the sound "Squeak" was far too recognizable.

Since they would be staying in Jiagu Guan City for a while longer, if this guy couldn't keep its mouth shut and continued to make noise everywhere, Zheng He and the others might start to suspect Maoqiu's true identity.

Maoqiu finally calmed down a bit from its anger.

It glared at Liuzi as a warning, and under Zhang Yiyi's threatening gaze, it reluctantly returned to its designated spot with a sulky face.

Hmph, if Zhang Yiyi hadn't put restrictions on it early on, it would have torn that ignorant mortal Liuzi into pieces in an instant.

"Liuzi, this is Maoqiu; it's a mutated hedgehog. But it's not just any spirit pet; it's my closest companion and friend. You need to respect it just as you respect me. Don't say anything wrong; its temper is big, and I sometimes struggle to rein it in."

Zhang Yiyi then introduced Maoqiu to Liuzi seriously, basically giving it a proper name.

Of course, the main reason was to soothe Maoqiu, since it had such a bad temper and loved to hold grudges; who knew how it might take revenge on Liuzi later.

Sure enough, after hearing Zhang Yiyi's words, Maoqiu's scowling face finally lightened a bit.

Ultimately, Zhang Yiyi's attitude towards it was what mattered most to it, and this soothing effect was clearly effective.

Though Liuzi didn't quite understand why Sister Han placed so much importance on such an ugly little demonic beast with a bad temper, he would unconditionally comply with whatever Sister Han said, without needing to ask why.

"Okay, Sister Han, I remember."

Liuzi promptly agreed and even proactively apologized to the obviously still upset Maoqiu, "Lord Maoqiu, I sincerely apologize for my rudeness earlier. Please don't hold it against me, a little fellow with no experience. If there's anything I can do to serve Lord Maoqiu in the future, just let me know."

It must be said that Liuzi, at his young age, was able to survive in Jiagu Guan City with his wit and ability to read the situation.

He might not be able to discern Maoqiu's rank, but it was clear that something being valued and tolerated by Sister Han was no ordinary little demonic beast.

Moreover, Maoqiu could understand their words like a person, had a bad temper, and held grudges; such intelligence was not something a low-tier demonic beast could achieve.

Thus, in order not to offend this temperamental Maoqiu because of his earlier slip of the tongue, Liuzi hurriedly apologized and buttered it up.

Clearly, Liuzi's remedial efforts worked well.

Addressing it as "Lord Maoqiu" made Maoqiu feel exceptionally comfortable, dissipating all the remaining anger.

It waved its little paw, nodding its noble head, as if to say, "Since you're still sensible, I'll spare you this time."

Seeing this, Zhang Yiyi couldn't help but find it amusing.

This beast and person were quite well-matched; it seemed that in the future, she could have Liuzi coax Maoqiu and explain the rules of the human cultivation world to help it adapt to its new environment and life sooner.

"By the way, Liuzi, have you found any news about the things I asked you to investigate last time?"

Once the conflict was resolved, Zhang Yiyi turned to ask about other matters.