Chapter 108 - Charge

"My goodness, what are those things?"

"Are those ants? Why are they so big?"

"So, the danger the Bai family mentioned refers to these mutated ants?"

...

Seeing the spectacular sight of the ants before them, many people exclaimed in surprise, their faces changing color.

Some even immediately thought of retreating.

Those mutated ants seemed to be mostly first-level demon beasts, not too difficult to deal with, but the problem was their sheer number. And this was just from looking at the outside of the mineral vein; who knew how many more were inside.

"Master, may we leave now?"

Someone, unwilling to take such a big risk to continue mining, bravely asked the Bai family's Golden Core cultivator.

Seeing someone take the lead, many other cultivators with the same intention looked expectantly at the Bai family's Golden Core cultivator.

"You may."

The Bai family's Golden Core cultivator nodded without hesitation, looking as if he didn't mind at all.

Zhang Yiyi found it strange that the Bai family was so agreeable. Weren't they afraid that all the cultivators would leave and spread the truth, making other cultivators unwilling to sign up?

However, before those cultivators could return the spirit stones, the Bai family's Golden Core cultivator continued unhurriedly, "The Bai family won't stop those who want to leave, but whether you can safely leave the Black Marsh is not our concern. Since you are no longer under the Bai family's employment, your safety in and out of the Black Marsh is naturally not our responsibility."

With these words, all sounds immediately quieted down.

Even the dullest person could understand the Bai family's threat. They were already in this place; did they really think they could come and go as they pleased, taking the Bai family's spirit stones so easily?

If you want to leave, fine, but let's see if you have the ability to get out of the Black Marsh alive.

Of course, the Bai family didn't explicitly say what they would do. After all, everyone had seen along the way that there were often demon beasts in this area. It was just that the Bai family's Golden Core cultivator had escorted them to the mineral vein, so they hadn't needed to act.

But if they dared to return the Bai family's spirit stones and leave the Black Marsh, who knew what might happen on the way out?

If they really got into trouble and died, whether it was the Bai family's doing or just bad luck with the demon beasts, it would be a pointless death.

This was a blatant threat: if you don't want to live now, then leave immediately. Whatever happens to you won't be the Bai family's responsibility.

If you don't want to die now, then follow along and mine. This way, at least there's a chance of survival, and with some luck, you might even earn a considerable amount of spirit stones.

With this comparison, those who initially wanted to leave immediately quieted down.

After all, they had no choice. The Bai family's Golden Core cultivator was watching them, and they couldn't play any tricks under his nose.

Seeing that everyone had finally become sensible, the Bai family's Golden Core cultivator smiled and said, "You don't need to worry too much. Those mutated ants are just numerous, but not very strong. Besides, the Bai family has prepared some scent packs that the ants hate, which can help reduce some of the pressure."

After a pause, seeing that everyone's mood had indeed eased a bit, the Bai family's Golden Core cultivator continued, "Once everything is ready, I and a few other fellow Daoists will clear the outer mutated ants for you, so you can enter the mine smoothly."

After giving a stick, they offered a carrot. The Bai family knew how to handle things, understanding human nature well.

Hearing that there were scent packs specifically for the ants, everyone's spirits lifted. They quickly took the packs from the Bai family and carefully kept them, feeling a bit more secure.

"Master, how much Liuyun Kou (ore) do we need to mine before we can regroup with you?"

After checking the scent pack, Zhang Yiyi asked in a low voice from within the crowd.

The pack was fine, and the main ingredients did have insect-repelling properties. However, how effective it would be against the mutated ants and how long it would last was something only the Bai family knew.

In Zhang Yiyi's view, this pack was probably just for psychological comfort. If it were truly effective, the Bai family would have used their own people instead of attracting freelance cultivators with high commissions to act as cannon fodder.

"You only need to mine 100 pounds each to finish and regroup with us."

The Bai family's Golden Core cultivator didn't care who asked the question and answered directly, "Of course, if you want to mine more, that's fine. But you must leave the Black Marsh in ten days. After that, the Bai family won't wait, and your life or death won't concern us."

With that, the Bai family didn't give any more reminders. They directly opened a path through the mutated ants surrounding the mine entrance, signaling everyone to enter quickly.

The mutated ants immediately began to counterattack after being attacked, but they couldn't leave the vicinity of the mineral vein. Moreover, the attackers were all Golden Core cultivators, so the counterattack wasn't very effective.

Over a hundred recruited mining cultivators took this opportunity to quickly enter the mine.

"Brother Han, let's go!"

As soon as they entered, Shi Feng pulled Zhang Yiyi towards the southwest, scattering the scent pack on himself as he ran.

Zhang Yiyi followed suit, using the entire pack and running at full speed with Shi Feng.

"Ah! Ah..."

Sure enough, soon after, screams came from behind them.

Without looking back, Zhang Yiyi knew that some people were being attacked by the mutated ants.

The previously empty mining area suddenly erupted with countless mutated ants from the ground, attacking the intruding cultivators like mad.

Those who were inexperienced and unprepared became the first targets of the mutated ants.

Shi Feng's chosen direction was clearly not random. He had scattered the scent pack on himself early on, so they ran without much obstruction, successfully avoiding wave after wave of ant attacks.

However, the scent pack's effect wouldn't last long. Soon, Zhang Yiyi noticed that some alert mutated ants were starting to pay attention to them.

"Faster, if we reach that high ground, we'll be temporarily safe!"

Shi Feng tightened his grip on Zhang Yiyi's sleeve and ran even faster.