14: Leave A Trace

" you think I'll apologize for things I left behind 
but you got it wrong
"

Robb had a raven sent to the Freys asking if they could negotiate a truce. Two of Walder's sons arrived in a timely manner. My plan was to meet with them alone and work out the details of the truce before we met formally with Robb and the Tullys. As I walked through the guest wing of the castle I heard voices coming from one of the halls. "Foreign born, huh?" One of the voices asked. I walked down the hall slowly.

"Bet you think you're better than us. Probably wishes she never came to Westeros, don't you?" The other man asked. I recognized him as one of the few Bolton soldiers that had ridden with us to Riverrun.

"Let's see if you foreign bitches are as good as they say you are," the first man said. I stepped around the corner surprising them. The first soldier was holding Talisa up against the wall.

"Would you like her to test that theory by tending to the knife I'm about to stick in your eye? If not, I suggest you let the lady go," I said calmly.

"We're your soldiers. You can't hurt us," the Bolton man told me.

"My soldiers do not harass innocent women, who happen to be part of the King's court, in the halls." Neither of the men made a move to release Talisa. I pulled one of the daggers from my belt. "Really it's your choice. I'm sure you'll both look lovely with one less eye."

The men let her go reluctantly and walked past me without saying anything else. Talisa watched me leave and then turned to me. "Thank you, my grace."

"You helped me, it was my turn to help you," I told her. "And please, call me Amina."

"Amina, these soldiers are getting out of hand," Talisa told me.

"Clearly. They need to fight, we all need to fight. You cannot win a war without fighting. But the Bolton soldiers are the worst of all. The whole lot is rotten. If only we didn't need them, I would send them back to the North, or kill them." I cleared my throat. "I'd kill the ones who deserved it."

"You don't have to pretend to be a lady around me, your grace, I understand. Women do not get the respect they deserve in this world."

"Is it different in Essos?" I asked.

"No one gets respect in Essos, you have to earn it."

OoOoO

After I escorted Talisa to her quarters, I continued on to visit the Freys. I knocked on the door and waited in the hall until I finally heard shuffling inside. The door swung open and Lothar Frey stood in the doorway. "What do you want?" He asked.

"I am your Queen, it should not matter what I want," I said annoyed.

"Forgive me, your grace. How may I help you?" He asked, though he sounded quite bored. I pushed through the door and saw his bastard brother Black Walder sitting at the table.

"I would like to discuss the terms of this truce," I said.

"Do we not have a meeting with the others this afternoon?" Lothar asked limping towards me.

"Yes, this is merely a formality."

"This doesn't seem very formal to me," Black Walder said.

"Do not try my patience. I have already threatened to stab two men today. I do not have time to talk around business," I snapped. "What does your father want in exchange for the help of his armies?"

"He doesn't want to help," Lothar said.

"I am sure there is something we can agree on. He would not have sent you if there wasn't something he wanted. New lands perhaps? Or a new match to wed one of his daughters?"