34: Demons

" your eyes, they shine so bright
I wanna save that light "

Viserion flew overhead, the gush of air causing me to lean closer to Rhaegal's back. We headed toward the sea. The sound of waves crashing on the rocks made for a relaxing trip. The two dragons flew in spirals around each other. They were clearly still used to their independence. Rhaegal had been riderless for a long while. I didn't expect him to heed my every command overnight. But he was getting better at obeying. I felt more and more confident on his back with each passing day.

Down below, Missandei waved from the castle wall. I guided Rhaegal toward her, landing a safe distance away. Once I disembarked, Missandei tossed him a chicken, and he flew away appeased. "Word from Seaguard, your grace." She presented me with a raven scroll, and I unrolled it quickly.

I read over the words and let out a sigh of relief. "Finally, some good news." I couldn't help my breathy laugh. Of course, I'd had confidence in Lyman, but having the proof in my hand made me feel a hundred pounds lighter. "Castle Darry has been reclaimed, the last remaining Freys are gone. Lord Mallister has accepted my proposal to be Lord Paramount of the Riverlands. He will lead the Rivermen and fight for our cause."

Missandei flashed a bright smile. "That's wonderful news."

"It gets better," I told her. "Lyman is making his way here by sea, with an fleet of ships and thousands of Rivermen. Hopefully they'll be safe from Euron's armada. Word shouldn't get out for at least a fortnight, by then they should be safe in our waters."

"And your knight, any word from him?" She asked.

"Not yet. Soon, I hope." I shook my head, glancing back toward the castle. "Daemon and Archibald are lovely, but it isn't the same."

She raised an eyebrow. "Lovely is not the world I would use to describe Ser Archibald."

I snorted, covering my face embarrassed. "He's an acquired taste. We butted heads a bit at first, but now we get along quite well."

"He doesn't seem to like me," she said, tilting her head slightly. "Or Daenerys."

"Archibald doesn't like most people. Give him time, he'll warm up to you." We turned and headed toward the keep. "He's rather taken to the Dothraki though. You could offer to teach him a few words in their language, I'm sure he'd appreciate it."

She nodded. "Ser Daemon is charming."

"Too charming." We both laughed quietly. "If he flirts too much, you have my permission to smack him. I think he just misses Lyman." She gave me a curious look. "Lyman is married – well, sort of – and very uninterested. But Daemon is trying his hardest, poor lad. While we're on the topic, how have you been faring?" I wiggled my eyebrows and she ducked her head, hiding her blush. "Dany told me about Grey Worm."

"I hope he comes back soon," she murmured, still staring at the ground. I'd never seen her so self-conscious.

I gave her arm a reassuring squeeze. "He will, I'm sure of it."

OoOoO

I wrapped my arms around Jon's waist, and he jumped. "Don't scare me when I'm holding a torch," he said with a laugh, pulling me around and tucking me under his arm. "I would have met you at the stairs if you'd told me you were coming."

"Daenerys will be down to see the cave soon, but I wanted to see you first." I looked around the cave. The light from the flame reflected off patches of shiny dragonglass. "It's beautiful," I murmured.