Chapter 8

The hallways were maze like and after the fifteenth corner I was lost, not only that but the heels were starting to get really uncomfortable like I knew they would after walking in them so much. But I bit my tongue and kept stumbling along next to Saebriel, following the spacey weirdo who was leading us. We turned right once again and the hallway expanded into a large convex ceiling with a gigantic glass and metal gothic style grand chandelier. 

The ring of candles sent flickering glitters of light through the glass and down through the metal frame to the smooth mosaic stone floor. In the middle of the room was a very long heavy wooden table that stretched practically the diameter of the room. There were already people seated at the farthest end, my legs locked up as I looked at them. My body didn't want to go anywhere near them, they reminded me of Icarus.

Saebriel practically dragged me along forcing me to continue walking. Nimal, Galadrial, Anya and Rastiel were the only faces I remembered. The other two were new to me, I'm sure once they spoke I could figure out who was who from before. Not like I really wanted to.

I approached the table cautiously already regretting the decision to come down here. Then again I really didn't have much of a choice. Saebriel glanced back at me before pulling out the chair in front of him at the table, he gave a slight nod to it giving me the cue to sit. I shakily sat myself down tucking the fabric of the skirt smooth underneath me. He tucked the chair in against the table and took the seat on my left reaching over and placing his hand on mine. 

I glanced to my right at Anya who gave a sympathetic smile her bangs falling away from the left side of her face where the scars peeked out from underneath a cloth patch. These were the same people that had permanently scarred her face, all because she was too beautiful. My throat tightened, if that was what they did just for beauty, what would they do to me if they found out that I had really killed another vampire... Saebriels hand tightened and he pulled mine over into his lap.

"No greeting Saebriel?" Nimal was one of the first to speak, he lifted his glass up and took a small sip before setting it down gently.

I looked at Saebriel trying not to show how much the tension in the room was getting to me, it was a fight just sitting there. All my blind bravery vanished instantly, I could feel the old power singing through the air filling it with screeching static. Sabe shifted in his seat sitting up a little taller, "I have nothing to say to you Nimal." He spoke in the cold empty tone, I watched and felt it as he shut down his emotions, his empathy, and conscience. I quickly looked down into my lap, it wasn't a good sign. I had probably royally screwed us over earlier I could feel it, and now Saebriel was going to bear the brunt of the backlash.

Nimal let out a heavy sigh, the sound echoing in the large room, why weren't the others being brought in? I glanced around trying to see if they were coming in but none of the doors opened as we sat in the growing tension.

"What's the matter Aderyn?" Galadrial's voice shot fear through my heart making me jump in my seat.

"I was wondering why once again we are being secluded from the other participants?" I quickly spoke trying my best to keep my tone neutral and my words clipped.

Nimal's face twitched and pinched before he lifted his glass and took another large sip from the liquid inside of it. I think it was blood, but my mind wanted to deny it and so part of me thought/hoped it was wine. A very dark solid thick wine...

"They will be along shortly" The strong full voice echoed around the room dropping a curtain of silence that I wouldn't dare break, "You are a unique pair, in more than one way." He continued. The voice was coming from the man sitting on the other side of Anya, trying to be inconspicuous I leaned forward a little more trying to get a good look at him. Like Saebriel