Chapter 13

Staring at him was all I could really do, I wasn't impressed with him or his decisions but I didn't have the energy to blow up. He dragged out the pause waiting for my meltdown that was never going to come, as he realized I was at my peak he drew back pulling his hands away.

"Your Aunt and I hoped you wouldn't progress this far." I almost didn't hear the words that came out of his mouth, "We have a lot to talk about Aderyn, more to the point I have a lot that needs to be said."

My eyes narrowed until I glared at him, "It's really hard to care about you right now. Why are you and my Aunt so talkative?"

"I've known Caprilla for a while, before meeting you at the school." I couldn't help the shock, "That is why she threatened me. I promised her I would leave you alone, and I have obviously lied." He winced but kept his eye contact with me as if it helped somehow.

"Loaded question, when did you make this promise Saebriel?" I hugged myself holding my sides tightly fighting the cold that seeped into every pore, "How long have you been following me?" It felt like I wanted to cry, but at the same time I was feeling numb.

Saebriel remaining a good distance away from me finally looked away, "I found you Aderyn."

The breath left my lungs, it felt like he had just hit me square in the chest. More questions began to pop up filling my brain with chatter again. The numbness snapped and anger erupted inside of me, I glared at Saebriel.

"Did you kill my parents? Is that where you found me? Did you steal me?" I fired questions at him and watched his eyes well with hurt as I accused him flat out of not only murdering my parents.

I wanted to launch at him and pummel him despite my inability to even bruise him, he knew about them and had never thought to maybe bring it up.

"I did not kill them, and I did not steal you. They were both gone, I found you alone in the forest. Your mother had passed away, as well as your father. I buried them, burned the cabin and took you to the only place I could."

"The school." I could feel my entire body trembling, I hadn't been this cold since crawling from the water into the snowstorm.

If this is how he thought romance worked then we were going to need a lifetime of therapy, the anger was gone the urge to cry overwhelming it and I knew didn't want to be near him. I needed to get as far away from him as I could.

"I'll walk you back to your room." Saebriel turned and very slowly began to walk away.

Encased in numbness I followed after him, how was I supposed to respond? Was I supposed to get angry, believe him? Argue something I can't remember? I couldn't imagine he would lie about this to me, family was important to me and the fact I didn't have one was a constant thorn in my side. But how was I going to act knowing he had found me with my dead parents. Staring at his back it felt like there were miles between us, and it still didn't feel like enough.

"How did they-" I couldn't finish it, I had always wanted to know where they were, why they dumped me at a school for monsters, that deep seeded insecurity of why I wasn't good enough.

Saebriel paused, "Your mother looked to have passed giving birth, and your father tried to brave the mountains and a snowstorm with you."

I felt something snap and could have sworn there was an audible sound, my hands pressed to my chest to where the sound came from. My legs wobbled and then gave out, hitting the ground with all my weight sent up a little puff of sand. Saebriel spun on his heel crouching down in front of me his hands hover above my shoulders.

"I killed them." I gasped for air between soundless sobs. Sabe tentatively touched my shoulders, when I didn't pull away he slowly eased me into a hug. "I killed them all" I grabbed at his shirt pressing my face against his chest.