Chapter 3

Annabeth hung up her apron in the back of the shop. Piper walked in a minute later and took off her uniform, but not before throwing a wink over at Annabeth. The two girls walked out of the coffee shop and got into Piper's red convertible. It was a gift from her father, who was a famous actor. Piper and Annabeth decided to move to this small town on the cliffs, so they wouldn't be spoiled by their rich dads. Annabeth's dad worked as one of the best historians in the country and worked with people from all around the world. He was never home often and Annabeth spent a lot of her life at Piper's house, because her mom had left them when Annabeth was just a baby.
The girls decided to hit up the beach today and drove to their small cottage. Annabeth walked into the house and rushed to her room. Not many people knew that Annabeth loved to surf and be in the ocean. However, Annabeth wanted to relax. Maybe she could find some cute surfer boy and they could go on a date. She tugged off her sweaty clothes and grabbed her retro bikini. She threw her hair into a messy bun and grabbed her sunglasses. Annabeth walked out and found her brunette best friend was dressed in a mint green bikini, showing off her tanned Cherokee skin. Piper's hair was in a braided bun and her sunglasses were perched on the top of her head.
The duo grabbed their towels and jumped back into Piper's car. On the way there, Piper rapid fire'd questions at Annabeth about the black haired boy at the shop. Annabeth shut her down with one word answers and the brown haired girl got the message. They continued in silence to the beach.
Annabeth sat down on her towel, facing the water. She could see the figures of some surfers waiting for big waves further out. Piper had laid next to her, claiming that she needed to tan more. Annabeth disagreed, but kept her opinion to herself. She peered at the water once again and the surfers had started to paddle. She could see a huge wave forming and now kinda wished she had brought her board. The wave hit the surfers and only two were able to ride it. She could only see their hair color from here, and determined that one was black haired and the other was blond. The blonde girl shook her best friend's shoulder and pointed to the two boys riding the wave. The boys peaked Piper's interest and she sat up to watch them. Finally, the surfers got out of the water after that last wave. Piper yanked Annabeth's arm and the two went down to face the boys. The surfers were intently discussing something and didn't notice the two bikini-clad girls approach them. As they turned around, Annabeth took a step back and rolled her eyes. Piper sucked in a breath and stood a little taller. Annabeth recognized those sea green eyes and started to regret coming to the beach.