Heartbreak

"Annabeth" I hollered into the Athena cabin.

     "What?" her annoyed voice called out as she stepped into my view. She had just returned from Olympus and I couldn't wait to see her again.

    "Are you ready?" I asked joyfully.

     "Ready for what?" she asked impatiently.

     "Come one, Annabeth. Stop pulling my leg."

     "Seaweed Brain, what's going on?" her tone made my smile drop from my face.

     "Annabeth," I started carefully, "what happened during your talk with Zeus?"

      "Well, I was going to surprise you later, but since you asked I'll show you now." Annabeth brought out a black backpack and dumped the contents on her bed. I gasped. Lying on her bed were Daedalus's golden laptop and Annabeth's dagger. But that was impossible! They had fallen into Tartarus! Annabeth smirked when she saw my expression.

     "Zeus somehow managed to get them. He did some sort of spell with the other Olympians and voila! He said they were gifts for saving Olympus. But enough about me. What did Zeus say to you?" she smiled. "Did he grant you a wish to go somewhere? Is that why you asked me if I was ready?"

     "He- he- he made me immortal." I stammered.

     "HE WHAT?!"

     "He made me immortal."  I said as my stomach twisted into a knot.

     "Seaweed Brain, how could you?" Annabeth's eyes started to water.

     "Zeus said he was going to grant everyone great gifts. I though he was going to make all of us immortal." I hung my head, the knot twisting even more.

     "I can't believe you did this to me. I'm sorry, but we can't be together anymore." she said solemnly.

     "What? You're breaking up with me? What happened to 'I'm never going to leave you again'?"

     "It's for the best. It's not like you're going to see me again anyway. You'll get over it, and so will I. You'll find someone else."

     "But I don't want someone else! I love you!" My heart felt like it was broken in two.

 "I'm sorry Percy. You should leave." Annabeth turned away from me. With no there choice, I walked away sadly. I forced myself not to cry. Just as I was about to collapse from sadness, a flash of light blinded me, and before I knew what was happening, the world went black.