Twenty-Six \\ The Old People

Twenty-Six \\

      "What did you do?" Derek stood up the moment the Hale loft door flung open.

      Deucalion came through with Koda in his arms. "I didn't do anything."

      Derek met him halfway, taking Koda from him. "What the hell happened to her?" Quickly, he laid her down on the bed and sat at her side. He brushed a wisp of hair from her face, flooded with concern.

      Deucalion hesitated, watching how carefully Derek treated Dakoda. "I came to her at the hospital to see her and she cured two people of cancer. Right when she finished the second one she collapsed, I think it was too much for her at once."

      "She cured cancer?" Derek's eyebrows lifted as he looked back to Duke. "Cancer, cancer?"

      "She's the Supreme. That's probably the least she can do," Deucalion admitted. "It was incredible."

      "Until the part where she passed out," Derek said. He leaned over, putting two fingers against her neck. "She's still breathing."

      "I got her out as soon as I could. It only happened a few minutes ago." Duke was slightly panicking but tried to not show it.

      "She just needs to rest. I don't imagine curing cancer was an easy thing on her energy. When I healed Cora, it wasn't as serious and it took a whole rank from me." Derek stopped, "She told you she was the Supreme?"

      "Her mother has her suspicions. She told me she was while she was healing the cancer patient."

      "I thought her mother was bitten, not born." Derek kept his eyes on Koda, holding on to her hand.

      "She was, but she was well versed in mythology of our kind."

      "Your kind," Derek said quietly.

      "I thought that there was something different about you." Duke glanced from Koda to Derek. "What happened?"

      "Kate Argent happened. As if burning my family alive wasn't enough, she put me in a tomb in Mexico and turned me into a teenager."

      "La Iglesia?"

      Derek turned to Deucalion, "How did you know that?"

      "Mexico isn't a place I like to venture to, but I know about Tezcatlipoca's temple. It's a nasty place."

      "Do you know what it does to people?"

      Duke observed Derek, "It's killing you."

      "No shit," Derek muttered. He returned his focus to the unconscious Koda. "The deadpool may be over, but my name was the third cipher key, which Lydia predicted."

      "A banshee predicted your death?" Deucalion's eyes fell on Koda, suddenly thinking of what that would do to her. "Did she ever tell you-"

      "That she was marked by a banshee, too?" Derek finished for him. "I hardly believe it'll turned me into the Supreme like it did her. Anyway, she avoided it, which changed her eyes. I already seem to be on the fast path to dying as a human."

      "Two things you probably thought would never happen, I'd imagine."

      "No kidding," Derek said. He kept his focus on Koda, hoping she would wake up.

      "Do you love her?"

      "More than anything," Derek softly replied.

      "When I was trying to get you to join me, there was more than one reason why." Duke looked to the window, recalling where the alpha symbol had once been. "Even when I was like I was, I still wanted my children back."