Twenty-Seven \\ Moving Day

Twenty-Seven \\

"It's a colonial, built in 1973 and has been on the market for a few years now."

As Koda listened to the realtor, she couldn't help but think no one particularly wanted to move to Beacon Hills. She held Derek's hand, trying to take in the whole house at once.

"It's a three bedroom, two bath and has a basement. All of the heating and things go to there and the washer and dryer are down there as well."

"Does it come with all of the appliances?" she asked, absently running her thumb along Derek's hand as his hand was intertwined with hers.

"Yes, the kitchen comes with a fridge, stove and dishwasher."

Derek lightly nodded, liking the house as they went into the living room and trailed to the kitchen. "It's nice."

"I'll let you two check out the place," the blonde woman said as she stepped out of the way. "If you need me or once you're finished, I'll be on the porch."

"Thanks," Koda said. She tugged on Derek's hand, eyes bright like a kid in a candy store. "Come on, I want to go upstairs."

He laughed, following her up the hardwood staircase. "This place is nice, Koda."

"It's great," she replied. She let go of Derek, taking a left when they reached the top of the steps. "God, we're so domestic."

"It's nice for a change. The supernatural gets old after a long time." Following her, he wrapped his arms around her from behind as they stood in the empty master bedroom. "What do you think?"

"I think..." Koda rested back against Derek, "that I could see myself here. And you."

"Me?" he asked with a soft smile in his voice. "Maybe I'd sell the loft."

Dakoda closed her eyes, a smile on her lips as she pictured it.

Derek would do yardwork or take on some random project to fix the house and would always welcome Brett home from school and Koda from work. They'd go to lacrosse games and when Koda would make dinner, Brett and Derek would watch and they'd talk about their days. Brett's high school graduation; a promotion at the hospital for Koda.

The three of them a family, in that house.

And when Koda opened her eyes, a tear slid down her cheek because it seemed so beautiful, yet impossible.

\\

"They're transferred," Koda held her phone to her ear the next morning, outside of the new house after her shift at the hospital. "You start at Beacon Hills High on monday. Have you told your team yet?"

"I was thinking of waiting," Brett replied at the other end of the line. He was on a water break, the team doing light warm ups before eventually taking the bus to the next town over.

"And the house?"

"Derek's been helping move in; they accepted our offer a couple hours ago. I just got the rest of our stuff from Devenford, so you'll get to see the house after the game tonight."

"It's only fitting my last game with Prep is against the school I'm transferring to." He lightly laughed before a voice called out to him. "Hey, we're about to finish up. I'll see you at seven. You better not be late."

"I wouldn't miss it," she said. "See you in a bit, okay?"

"Later, D." Brett hung up, running off with his team.