Epilogue \\ Three Months Later

Epilogue \\

      "It's almost like an uppercut, but instead catch their arm and they're practically yours."

      Dakoda pulled up to their house, able to hear Derek's voice as she went up to the porch. Just off her midday shift, she was still in lilac scrubs as she walked around the porch to the open backyard.

      As Koda leaned on the white painted wooden railing, Brett threw a punch at Derek, only to end up landing flat on his back in the grass.

      Brett groaned, "I thought I had that."

      "And I thought I said no werewolf thunderdome in the backyard."

      The boys looked up with guilty faces as they saw Koda.

      Derek held down a hand to Brett, pulling him up off the ground. "It was like a congrats present. He just finished his junior year."

      "And it's a treat for him to get his ass kicked?" Koda jokingly asked.

      Brett laughed, dusting himself off. "I'm gonna change and then go pick up Liam and Mason." Jogging up the steps to the porch, he kissed Koda on the cheek before going into the house. 

      "I see you finished the gazebo," she pointed out to Derek.

      Derek looked behind him to the white gazebo he'd built himself. "Yeah, I did a couple hours before I picked up Brett from school."

      "It looks great," she told him as she went down the steps. "Question," she said as she wrapped her arms around his neck.

      "Answer," he replied when he put his hands on her waist.

     "Why did the neighbor call me saying a wolf in our yard nearly attacked her ten year old son?"

     "I, uh, I have no idea-" he whined when she slapped his arm. "Okay, fine. He was trying to kick down the gazebo when I went in for a break, so..."

      "So you chased him out of the yard in wolf form?" Koda tried not to laugh, "She called the station, Derek. You're lucky Parrish was the one who picked up."

     "Speaking of," Derek said as he let go of her, "is Jordan coming?"

     "He should be." Koda glanced to her scrubs, "I'll change real quick and then i'll help with chairs." She went back into the house, tossing Brett a set of keys.

      Confused, Brett didn't recognize them as he stood in the open door.

      "Check the garage," Koda said with a grin as she started up the stairs. "Happy early birthday." She smiled, hearing Brett freak out as she got up to her and Derek's room.

     The house had been completely moved in, everything in a place. Family photos had been hung up on the walls and a few sat on the dressers in the room set for two.

      About a month after the return from La Iglesia, Derek moved in with Brett and Koda and although he hadn't sold the loft, he renovated it and rented out the spaces.

      They were, no less, a family.

      "Your dad's here," Derek called as Koda changed into a pale blue sundress with a lace bodice.

     "Down in a sec!" Koda put on white sandals and fixed her curly hair as she went down the stairs. "Hey Dad."

      Deucalion smiled, giving Koda a hug. "Thanks for inviting me, sweetheart."

      Koda kissed his cheek when she pulled away. "We're out back. Brett'll be back soon."

      "Sounds great," he replied, walking past and going through the backyard where he greeted Derek on friendly terms.